View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 09:12 PM   #201 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.95 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
I want to replace the DC-DC with a meanwell, except that with no AC use the interior can get decently hot during the warmer months down in Virginia. Don't want to risk not having any 12V charging to due heat. And running the AC to cool the interior would easily reduce any MPG gains from losing 20lbs.

Thanks for the link! I'll take a look there and see if I can come up with a more accurate current weight for my Insight. I know it's well under 1800lbs now, although it'll go back up some once I recarpet and insulate the rear.

Bypassed the starter relay tonight because the car was being a PITA to start. Sometimes I had to crank it as many as 8 times before the engine would turn over. Despite most people over on Insight Central claiming that getting the relay out is a pain, it came out in less than a minute and in another minute I had the cover off. Used a metal twist tie to short the leads together and now the car starts instantly.

Also made a new record trip coming home from work today, first time over 120 MPG. So far all my non-pizza delivery driving since getting back home from college has averaged 98.4 mpg according to the fuel log, all non-highway driving with a max speed of 45 mph, usually between 30 and 40 mph. I should have a ~150 mile highway trip sometime this week or next to see what she'll do on the highway with this warmer weather.

The question now is, since I deleted the hybrid battery, does my car still count as a hybrid?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190619_193231.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	26238  

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)