Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2019, 09:12 PM   #201 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 64.01 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
I want to replace the DC-DC with a meanwell, except that with no AC use the interior can get decently hot during the warmer months down in Virginia. Don't want to risk not having any 12V charging to due heat. And running the AC to cool the interior would easily reduce any MPG gains from losing 20lbs.

Thanks for the link! I'll take a look there and see if I can come up with a more accurate current weight for my Insight. I know it's well under 1800lbs now, although it'll go back up some once I recarpet and insulate the rear.

Bypassed the starter relay tonight because the car was being a PITA to start. Sometimes I had to crank it as many as 8 times before the engine would turn over. Despite most people over on Insight Central claiming that getting the relay out is a pain, it came out in less than a minute and in another minute I had the cover off. Used a metal twist tie to short the leads together and now the car starts instantly.

Also made a new record trip coming home from work today, first time over 120 MPG. So far all my non-pizza delivery driving since getting back home from college has averaged 98.4 mpg according to the fuel log, all non-highway driving with a max speed of 45 mph, usually between 30 and 40 mph. I should have a ~150 mile highway trip sometime this week or next to see what she'll do on the highway with this warmer weather.

The question now is, since I deleted the hybrid battery, does my car still count as a hybrid?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190619_193231.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	26238  

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-19-2019, 09:19 PM   #202 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Frogger - '00 Honda Insight Gas Only (unHybrid)
90 day: 68.51 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
I want to replace the DC-DC with a meanwell, except that with no AC use the interior can get decently hot during the warmer months down in Virginia. Don't want to risk not having any 12V charging to due heat. And running the AC to cool the interior would easily reduce any MPG gains from losing 20lbs.
Huh? My AC works great! So does my voltage. Why wouldn't the AC work?

Quote:
The question now is, since I deleted the hybrid battery, does my car still count as a hybrid?
We'd obliterate all the oem gas-only cars, lol. Probably why we shouldn't...
Old 06-19-2019, 09:31 PM   #203 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoD~ View Post
Huh? My AC works great! So does my voltage. Why wouldn't the AC work?
AC works fine, and voltage is fine too. But the meawell has a limited temperature operating range; I think the meanwell completely shuts down if it's temperature hits 140 degrees Fahrenheit, and is significantly less efficient when over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I was mentioning that my lack of AC use in addition to hot Virginia weather would make the meanwell inoperable quite a bit of the time, or at least greatly heighten the risk. The DC-DC is more robust at higher temperatures, which is why I'm keeping it, at least for now. Looking to relocate it to the spare tire area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoD~ View Post
We'd obliterate all the oem gas-only cars, lol. Probably why we shouldn't...
Haha true, and I suppose it technically is still a hybrid due to the electric motor still being there even without the battery.

Was more thinking about badging on the outside where it still says "Gasoline-electric hybrid". Thinking of replacing it with chrome emblems from the 2nd gen Insight, but replace the hybrid badge with something else, either maybe the "Eco" badge from the new Prius, or "Limited" due to being a rarer car, or just plain "DX" since all Insights are technically DXes. More or less just a thought I'm turning around in my head lol.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:53 PM   #204 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Went looking for my pics of my setup and... realized I never posted them! Thankfully I back up my phone's pics all the time. Anywho, check my setup out: https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...tml#post600412

So far, I haven't had any issues. I just did around 13 hour trips in some decent temps (low 90's, sometimes in direct sun) and maybe ran my AC a total of 3 minutes the whole trip (steep engine braking [not breaking!] was required and the AC seems to lug it down well). I'll have to keep an eye out when it gets 100+ outside and see how it performs. Thus far, I have the voltage set to 14.0 (+/-.2v) and, even when bumpin my little sub and the fan on full blast, I have no issues. Though, I do have LED everything to headlights, though I don't know if I've blasted air and stereo at night like that.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:04 PM   #205 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I see you have an auxiliary fan mounted to help with cooling. Do you have a way to monitor the temperature inside the meanwell?

With the WHITE/GREEN wire cut on the DC-DC it maintains full charging voltage at 1300 RPM and higher and still keeps over 12V as low as 1000 RPM. Haven't had an issue with the battery. I also run full LEDs except for interior lighting and turn signals.

I'd like a meanwell for the weight reduction and compact size, but I can't really justify the $150 or $200 for the unit just to save 20 or so pounds and add the risk of overheating. With it being relocated into the spare tire compartment, the storage penalty should be pretty low.

Have you bypassed the internal rectifier on your meanwell to improve it's efficiency?

Peter over on Insight Central tested that 600w, 15v meanwell and I think was able to pull a max output of 48 amps, compared to the stock DC-DC's 75 amps. Something to keep in mind, although most people seem to be doing fine with that.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:21 PM   #206 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Nice writeup!

I agree with all of your points about the DC-DC and Meanwell units, but you might be fine with a Meanwell anyway. Regardless, be careful when relocating the DC-DC to the spare tire well, it produces a lot of heat and needs ventilation. Additionally, I hope you also wrapped those exposed spade connectors on the DC-DC! You can see as high as 300v there, and it would be a pretty spectacular light show if one of them came loose and touched the other.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:32 PM   #207 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I see you have an auxiliary fan mounted to help with cooling. Do you have a way to monitor the temperature inside the meanwell?

With the WHITE/GREEN wire cut on the DC-DC it maintains full charging voltage at 1300 RPM and higher and still keeps over 12V as low as 1000 RPM. Haven't had an issue with the battery. I also run full LEDs except for interior lighting and turn signals.

I'd like a meanwell for the weight reduction and compact size, but I can't really justify the $150 or $200 for the unit just to save 20 or so pounds and add the risk of overheating. With it being relocated into the spare tire compartment, the storage penalty should be pretty low.

Have you bypassed the internal rectifier on your meanwell to improve it's efficiency?

Peter over on Insight Central tested that 600w, 15v meanwell and I think was able to pull a max output of 48 amps, compared to the stock DC-DC's 75 amps. Something to keep in mind, although most people seem to be doing fine with that.
Yes, bypassed. Helped keep input voltage high enough that I didn't have to have an extra high idle to keep the PSU going. Output voltage went up a bit as well if I recall. But yeah, don't blame ya. I just wanted to rid of the IMA storage box in the trunk for the extra trunk space. Has been really nice... though I wish I'd get around to finishing my trunk...
Old 06-20-2019, 10:18 PM   #208 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I "might" be fine, but not sure I want to risk it yet when having a 100% dependable vehicle is very important. I don't have another vehicle I can drive if something goes haywire. The meanwell has proven reliable for those who have used it in northern climates...for what, 1, 2 or 3 years? Long term reliability is unknown as of yet. The oldest Insights have been around for about 20 years now, and I have not heard of a single stock DC-DC failure to date.

Heat is one of the reasons I'm still debating on relocating the DC-DC or not. I honestly probably won't move it at this point. Yes, it'll eat into some of the storage space compared to using a meanwell unit, but I'll still be gaining a lot of storage over stock.

Haven't taped up the spade connectors yet; they're in there quite secure. I'll probably tape them up tomorrow morning if it isn't raining again.

If I keep the DC-DC where it is, I just need to remove the aluminum box before I start installing the floor. Thinking of using foam board to build up the floor, and 1/4" plywood as the flooring, of course with carpet and automotive underlay as well. My only possibly concern at the moment is that even if I glue foam board to the floor and plywood to the foam board, eventually with normal vibration it'll come loose and the foam board will annoyingly squeak.

Ecky, what did you do to build up your floor? If you used foam board, does it squeak, or what did you do to prevent this?

NoD~, have you started rebuilding your floor yet or is it still all open?

Old 06-20-2019, 10:23 PM   #209 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
For my floor, I used carpet underlayment, then foam, then carpet underlayment, then plywood - 3/8 I think. The underlayment was to cushion and level things a bit, it's inexpensive and a very soft foam which moulds over the bumps and creases.

My rear piece of plywood (over the spare tire well) has already started to bow in the middle, I may need to add a support piece for it. At the back. It's supported on 3 sides right now but still has to span... What, close to 30 inches?
Old 06-21-2019, 11:53 PM   #210 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'll be sure to add a support there, thanks for the heads up. Good idea on the underlayment layers. I was thinking some kind of rubber spacers, but that would weaken the overall strength of the floor.

Insulated the spade connectors today.

Got another shift knob for the Insight today, from an 8th gen Civic (2006-2011). IMO it looks and feels a lot better than the oem shift knob, without the aftermarket look.

Thinking of replacing the e-brake lever and setup with one from an S2000. Just need to take a closer look at the Insight's setup to verify compatibility. From a brief look at the S2000's setup it looks like a direct swap, or close to it. The stock Insight one looks a little cheap IMO and I'm going to have to get in there anyway soon to fix this problem I have:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-20190312_181529.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	26255   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190621_202911.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	26256   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190621_202845.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	26257   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190621_203255.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	26258  

Reply  Post New Thread