View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 09:26 AM   #60 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I never liked this intake stud! I am glad it is out!

I know that I can do headspace and timing with a 10mm wrench, a flathead screwdriver, and go\no-go gauges, but it looked like it required three hands, so I figured $13 was a small price to pay to make one part of my life more tolerable. We would be at my sister’s, so I figured that I would have it shipped a shorter distance, and then know that I had it sooner. Well, our plans fell through, and Mom was not feeling well, so we returned early. I tried to change the shipping address, but it was too late, so I canceled and made a second order, using Mom’s address.

Amazon canceled it, but kept asking me irrelevant questions so they could deliver the first one to my sister’s house. I talked to an employee who supposedly took care of everything, but nothing changed for two days. I finally had it on Tuesday, but I failed to write out the instructions ahead of time. It is a pain to chase down all of the endless references to other sections.

For some reason, I use WordPerfect on my desktop, but have Office on my laptop. I could not sleep, so I worked on it in my room, thinking that it would be great to process words the way that I am supposed to.

Word constantly messed up the formatting and 90% of the time, when I tried to fix it, it did something inexplicable.

So, I did the head space and timing, and had a difficult time separating the metal parts from the rubber parts on the valve cover bolts. I looked up a video where a guy did it easily, so I figured that I would keep trying, regardless of how long it took.

Four hours. It took me four hours for five bolts. The best part of my day was the second one that departed without further argument. The most exciting part of my day was realizing why the new rubber parts were so big--they came with new metal parts.

I do not know how long I spent trying to scrape the rubber off the metal. I only did that for one of them, but it took a ridiculously long time.

So, if you buy the Fel-Pro kit, just pop off the gaskets, and use the new ones.

The good thing about the video was that, unlike the Accord video that I watched, he did not use a hammer and a socket to put the new gaskets on the bolts, but he bolted them onto the engine, which gently pushed the gaskets in place.

I put the head cover gasket in place, put gasket maker in those four spots, and wrestled with the new spark plug gaskets, but I got them on.

Then I realized that my twenty-one pages of instructions only take me that far. I guess that I will be relying on “Installation is reverse of removal” for the rest.

I am getting close, right?

Right?!