View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 10:18 PM   #208 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.95 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
I "might" be fine, but not sure I want to risk it yet when having a 100% dependable vehicle is very important. I don't have another vehicle I can drive if something goes haywire. The meanwell has proven reliable for those who have used it in northern climates...for what, 1, 2 or 3 years? Long term reliability is unknown as of yet. The oldest Insights have been around for about 20 years now, and I have not heard of a single stock DC-DC failure to date.

Heat is one of the reasons I'm still debating on relocating the DC-DC or not. I honestly probably won't move it at this point. Yes, it'll eat into some of the storage space compared to using a meanwell unit, but I'll still be gaining a lot of storage over stock.

Haven't taped up the spade connectors yet; they're in there quite secure. I'll probably tape them up tomorrow morning if it isn't raining again.

If I keep the DC-DC where it is, I just need to remove the aluminum box before I start installing the floor. Thinking of using foam board to build up the floor, and 1/4" plywood as the flooring, of course with carpet and automotive underlay as well. My only possibly concern at the moment is that even if I glue foam board to the floor and plywood to the foam board, eventually with normal vibration it'll come loose and the foam board will annoyingly squeak.

Ecky, what did you do to build up your floor? If you used foam board, does it squeak, or what did you do to prevent this?

NoD~, have you started rebuilding your floor yet or is it still all open?

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)