View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
NoD~
Master EcoModder

Frogger - '00 Honda Insight Gas Only (unHybrid)
90 day: 68.51 mpg (US)
Took my Subaru Forester for an Eco-Trip...

So one thing that's bothered me is that my Forester hasn't been able to break 30MPG. It's an auto, it's got 260,000 miles on it, and it clearly isn't aerodynamic. I had never had the chance to dedicate to much of a trip with her, so figured it was her time.

Removed the windshield wipers, the cross bars on top, used packing tape to do a 2/3 grill block, and aired the tires to 40+psi. Used Ethanol Free 87octane. I decided to do 50mph to give me the best shot at my 30+ goal. I used the cruise control for most of this, but sometimes accelerating some down hill if it was steep enough to warrant.

After arriving and after refueling, I nailed a 33mpg.

Coming from my insight that's starting to creep into the 90's, it's little... but knowing that I've never been able to get this close, I'm happy.

On the return trip, with some of the tank being city and the highway was 75mph (didn't have the time for going slow, sadly), I still nailed a 29mpg!

Oh, the grill block held up and I never saw temps past a rare 205*F (hill climbs, mostly). Otherwise, 185 was average and is the same temp with no grill blocking. Nailed it.