View Single Post
Old 06-26-2019, 10:15 PM   #329 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
I'm not sure there would be any benefit to it if it could, without some massive tuning. Julian Edgar has probably done the most Insight dyno tuning to date and IIRC he said that there isn't really any power available past the redline. I think he's up to around 120 hp at redline with his turbo setup and IMA delete.
Yeah, intake and exhaust are both EXTREMELY small, the intake runners are around the size of a garden hose, and the exhaust port for all 3 cylinders is only marginally larger than a single cylinder's exhaust in the K24. I'm willing to bet there's a lot more power one could extract from the 3 cylinder if one replaced intake and exhaust, but I absolutely would not do this. It's a very purpose built motor, and I'd rather keep the torque, throttle response and economy down low and get extra power by over-driving the IMA. There exist current hacks to easily add 30% and 45% more output from it, assuming one has a healthy battery.

Julian's 120HP is pretty impressive, but he's using a turbo. Proportionally speaking, it would be like running 500HP through my current engine. It wouldn't surprise me if he's at the very limit of what the rods can take, as I'm sure Honda lightened them as much as possible.

The valvetrain shouldn't have any problems with big boost, but probably isn't good for revving much higher than it does. The bottom end can probably rev a lot higher safely but I would be leery of running as much boost as Julian already is through it. At those cylinder pressures, a slight error in ignition timing could be catastrophic.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (06-26-2019)