View Single Post
Old 06-27-2019, 09:21 AM   #115 (permalink)
CapriRacer
Tire Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecomoz View Post
It's good to have stumbled upon this thread. I am also looking to buy for new tires and one of my choices includes BF Goodrich. Is it true that there's MPG loss when you use those tires? I've read somewhere that it is quite a bit heavier than the stock tires. Can anyone confirm how much of an MPG loss have you noticed?
First, this is a 6 year old thread. Many of the tires mentioned will have been discontinued or changed.

Second, even within tire brands there will be HUGE!! differences in fuel economy, so you have to be specific about the make and model of tire.

Third, if by "stock tires" you mean what comes from the factory on a new car, then I can almost guarantee you will experience a fuel economy hit. OE tires are designed specifically to give good RR and they do that by sacrificing treadwear and/or traction (especially wet traction)

By contrast aftermarket tires are designed to give good wear (except when they are designed to give good grip!) This means that aftermarket tires aren't as good for fuel economy.

Also, a worn tire gives better fuel economy than a new (unused) tire - all other things being equal.

It is an unfortunate set of circumstances that no one publishes the RR of the tires available on the market today (with an exception I'll talk about at the end of this post.) However, NHTSA is supposed to publish a proposal at the end of this month (June 2019) I am not optimistic that this will happen and if it does, I am not optimistic it will be workable.

And lastly, the fuel economy you get from a car is highly dependent on the kind of driving you do. Stop and go driving negatively affects fuel economy.

Where tires make a difference is when the vehicle is moving - and what percentage city vs country driving will affect how much fuel is burned, so tires will only have a percentage affect that will vary.

Note: The exception to the published RR on tires is that the EU requires tire manufacturers to label their tires for RR, noise, and wet traction. The RR is only graded from A to G - no number is provided. I don't know of anyone who has published a summary, but there might be one. Caveat: Not only is the label not required in the US, there is an enforcement problem in Europe. There doesn't appear to be any consequences if the label is wrong.

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!