Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #111 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Great Video! Thanks. But still might look into it.

Joggernot

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #112 (permalink)

Word through the grapevine is that the mpg champion Bridgestone potenza RE92 tires are discontinued. It's causing a bit of a panic buy while there still in stock.
101Volts (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #113 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
The 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage will be equipped with the same size tire as the gen 1 Insight: 165/65r14 in LRR. But exactly what brand/model we'll get in Canada/U.S. we won't know until the car becomes available next month.

FYI:
Thread: What tires did your M irage / Space Star come with?
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 06-27-2019, 02:48 AM   #114 (permalink)
Banned

It's good to have stumbled upon this thread. I am also looking to buy for new tires and one of my choices includes BF Goodrich. Is it true that there's MPG loss when you use those tires? I've read somewhere that it is quite a bit heavier than the stock tires. Can anyone confirm how much of an MPG loss have you noticed?
Old 06-27-2019, 09:21 AM   #115 (permalink)
Tire Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecomoz View Post
It's good to have stumbled upon this thread. I am also looking to buy for new tires and one of my choices includes BF Goodrich. Is it true that there's MPG loss when you use those tires? I've read somewhere that it is quite a bit heavier than the stock tires. Can anyone confirm how much of an MPG loss have you noticed?
First, this is a 6 year old thread. Many of the tires mentioned will have been discontinued or changed.

Second, even within tire brands there will be HUGE!! differences in fuel economy, so you have to be specific about the make and model of tire.

Third, if by "stock tires" you mean what comes from the factory on a new car, then I can almost guarantee you will experience a fuel economy hit. OE tires are designed specifically to give good RR and they do that by sacrificing treadwear and/or traction (especially wet traction)

By contrast aftermarket tires are designed to give good wear (except when they are designed to give good grip!) This means that aftermarket tires aren't as good for fuel economy.

Also, a worn tire gives better fuel economy than a new (unused) tire - all other things being equal.

It is an unfortunate set of circumstances that no one publishes the RR of the tires available on the market today (with an exception I'll talk about at the end of this post.) However, NHTSA is supposed to publish a proposal at the end of this month (June 2019) I am not optimistic that this will happen and if it does, I am not optimistic it will be workable.

And lastly, the fuel economy you get from a car is highly dependent on the kind of driving you do. Stop and go driving negatively affects fuel economy.

Where tires make a difference is when the vehicle is moving - and what percentage city vs country driving will affect how much fuel is burned, so tires will only have a percentage affect that will vary.

Note: The exception to the published RR on tires is that the EU requires tire manufacturers to label their tires for RR, noise, and wet traction. The RR is only graded from A to G - no number is provided. I don't know of anyone who has published a summary, but there might be one. Caveat: Not only is the label not required in the US, there is an enforcement problem in Europe. There doesn't appear to be any consequences if the label is wrong.

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!
Old 07-14-2019, 05:26 AM   #116 (permalink)
Mechanical engineer

Siitin - '98 Seat Cordoba Vario
90 day: 58.56 mpg (US)

VW Lupo 3L --> 2L - '00 VolksWagen Lupo 3L
Diesel
90 day: 104.94 mpg (US)

A8 luxury fuel sipper - '97 Audi A8 1.2 TDI 6 speed manual
90 day: 64.64 mpg (US)

Audi A4B6 Avant Niistäjä - '02 Audi A4b6 1.9tdi 96kW 3L
90 day: 54.57 mpg (US)

Tourekki - '04 VW Touareg 2.5TDI R5 6 speed manual
90 day: 32.98 mpg (US)

A2 1.4TDI - '03 Audi A2 1.4 TDI
90 day: 45.68 mpg (US)

A2 1.4 LPG - '02 Audi A2 1.4 (75hp)
90 day: 24.67 mpg (US)
In EU no exact numbers are not given, but the range is enough for starters. Just choose the best you can find and you are pretty close to best choice.

See page 17.
https://ec.europa.eu/energy/sites/en...tion_final.pdf

https://www.linkedin.com/in/vesatiainen/

Vesa Tiainen innovation engineer and automotive enthusiast
Old 07-20-2019, 10:19 AM   #117 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
Note: The exception to the published RR on tires is that the EU requires tire manufacturers to label their tires for RR, noise, and wet traction. The RR is only graded from A to G - no number is provided. I don't know of anyone who has published a summary, but there might be one. Caveat: Not only is the label not required in the US, there is an enforcement problem in Europe. There doesn't appear to be any consequences if the label is wrong.
And the range G thru A has proven to be far too restricted

There are already a lot of A (RR) and A (wet braking) rated tyres, and a few A-A ratings, so there's no "better" tyre anymore in the EU labeling ...

Reply  Post New Thread