View Single Post
Old 06-27-2019, 10:18 AM   #48 (permalink)
Shaneajanderson
Redneck Ecomodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
My elementary had ~80 kids, and combined 2 grades for each teacher. Good school, and the others were fine too.

I'm mostly critical of the cost and basic structure of higher education. There's more value in something like Khan Academy than the old school method of paying through the nose to occupy space in a classroom, pay through the nose for the class textbooks, and be lectured by someone who may or may not be among the best at teaching the subject at hand.

What I really am opposed to is the hypocrisy and lack of critical thinking ability by administration. There's a facade of liberal and creative thinking, when in actuality there's agenda and intolerance.

Free speech zones... freedom of speech isn't a special privilege for those occupying a specific space, it's an intrinsic inalienable right to free thought.

I see value and purpose to higher education, but not in a general sense that everyone is entitled to it, or that everyone will benefit from it.
Yep, I think we pretty much see eye to eye on this one.

I dropped out of college because I was bored, unchallenged, and realized that a bachelors in chemistry only qualified me to go to grad school, which was not going to happen.

I took a job at the local Ford garage, which didn't last, got a job in a factory. I'm now in my third factory job, my income has on average been doubling every 2-3 years, but my mom still says I should go back to college and get a degree.

I've thought about doing some online schooling to get an engineering degree, which brings up the next criticism: I already know more about mechanical engineering just from working in manufacturing than a 4-year college grad in the field, but have no chance of every working as one without the magic piece of paper.