View Single Post
Old 06-27-2019, 11:55 AM   #50 (permalink)
Shaneajanderson
Redneck Ecomodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I've seen several people go from new factory worker, to production lead, to maintenance tech, and after they completed an engineering degree, become an engineer.

Engineering is among the more legitimate fields of study in higher education. It isn't so open to interpretation and opinion, and there are occupations which require that knowledge.

I was working on completing an AA transfer degree while I pondered what field of study to major in, but lost interest while also advancing my IT career.

I'd have teachers that would skip sections of a sociology course because it didn't align with their agenda to teach that people with fewer economic means are only in that position due to oppression, and that other factors such as competence, or cultural values, has nothing to do with it.

It's one thing to be entitled to a myopic view of something, but entirely different if I'm paying to "be educated", but instead am paying to be indoctrinated. They need to be paying me if they want me to sit through propaganda.
I went from an assembly line monkey, to department (retail food packaging) manager, but they didn't give me the manager's pay.

So I went to a different factory, steel manufacturing, as a solo assembler putting rock pickers and tractor snow plows together. The QAR at that plant was impressed with my attention to detail, so I got pulled into his deparment as a QC tech. I ended up taking care of all the SDS, a lot of ISO stuff, most of our internal document control, some quality engineering, as well as covering in the fab shop, prep line, shipping, and effectively being the assembly manager.

Four years later that company got a new GM whose first big move was to cut raises and benefits to save money, so now (November) I moved on to a different factory, still in QC, but better money and benefits, but way less responsibility, and frankly I'm so overqualified that most days I'm bored and have nothing to do after the first hour or two, which is why I've started looking into engineering programs.

We'll see what comes of it, and where the future holds. On a side note: this new job is the reason I found ecomodder as I'm now commuting 40 miles on the highway instead of going a mile or 2 across the little podunckville I live in.