View Single Post
Old 06-28-2019, 01:03 AM   #88 (permalink)
jcp123
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneajanderson View Post
Not really, the 7.3 is more efficient, more reliable, simpler to work on, and can be made to match the power of the 6.0 (not that it doesn't make ample enough power for any reasonable use already.) The newer 6.7 is all of the things I said about the 7.3, except perhaps simpler to work on, simply because I have no experience working on one.

The 6.0's also burn up $4,000 worth of injectors if they run out of fuel, the others don't do so.
7.3PSD is where i’d go if I needed midrange tow capacity from a pickup. Modern diesels have awesome capabilities, but short of that, a late 7.3 is simpler and cheaper to operate, long-term, and you could get a 5-speed stick into the early 2000s. Dodge Cummins had a stick till ca. 2010? But by then, we are into the diesel catalyst period, which negates a lot of a diesel’s efficiency gains, and not quite into the DEF era, which solved the efficiency problem but produced a reliability problem. The 6.0 was trash, by the time the 6.4 came along, at least the reliability issues had been solved. The 6.0PSD is the least favorite of my options for a diesel truck.

And still a solid no, I wouldn’t resurface my own head. Civics are gems about being easy to work on, so I’d try to recoup that cost elsewhere.

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17