View Single Post
Old 06-28-2019, 07:07 AM   #89 (permalink)
Shaneajanderson
Redneck Ecomodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
7.3PSD is where i’d go if I needed midrange tow capacity from a pickup. Modern diesels have awesome capabilities, but short of that, a late 7.3 is simpler and cheaper to operate, long-term, and you could get a 5-speed stick into the early 2000s. Dodge Cummins had a stick till ca. 2010? But by then, we are into the diesel catalyst period, which negates a lot of a diesel’s efficiency gains, and not quite into the DEF era, which solved the efficiency problem but produced a reliability problem. The 6.0 was trash, by the time the 6.4 came along, at least the reliability issues had been solved. The 6.0PSD is the least favorite of my options for a diesel truck.

And still a solid no, I wouldn’t resurface my own head. Civics are gems about being easy to work on, so I’d try to recoup that cost elsewhere.
The 6.4 had head gasket issues, egr issues, and injector issues too, though a little less prevelant.

Agreed on simplicity of the older diesels, that's why I like the 7.3. FWIW the Cummins dodges were available with a 6-speed standard through 2019 model year, though with DEF and all the other nonsense.