View Single Post
Old 06-28-2019, 04:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
I have been told many times that comparing a particular model tire from one market to another is pointless
Yes. I have heard that too. And it makes sense. However, it's still good idea to test that claim since production methods, corporate ownership, supply chains, and regulatory regimes change over time.

Tire Rack did a test of several LRR tires (not sure how long ago). Here is a screenshot of one result. They came to conclusions for the Michelin and Bridgestone tires that broadly confirm what those companies are claiming under the EU regulations, which is to say top-rated rolling resistance characteristics and top-rated wet traction characteristics. The screenshot is just for the fuel economy, but in a separate part of the same video Tire Rack shows stopping distances in wet traction capabilities the tires.

I guess if there's any lesson to pull from it, it's at the Michelin and Bridgestone tires have the top reputations for a reason. I think after reading about this stuff, I'd consider a Nokian LRR tire as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190628-133241_Firefox.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	26301  
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.