View Single Post
Old 07-08-2019, 01:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
jcp123
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
I haven’t taken a look at the heater box in mine. Hondas have a reputation for being easy to work on (which I can largely verify), but something tells me packaging will be an issue. IIRC doing this in a couple classic Mustangs, it was about a four-hour job, but granted, there was hella easy access. I’d at least double it in your Civic.

I definitely would avoid junkyard heater cores - they will probably have worse problems than whatever yours has. Having worked at Autozone, though, I’d be dishonest if I said Spectra made great products. They were fairly high-return items for us, both the radiators and the heater cores.

I wish I knew where to source something better. Maybe the Honda aftermarket scene has something? Or you could pursue it the way I pursued my oxygen sensor, see if an OE supplier still makes it by a different name/part number. My NTK (NTK is NGK’s OE supplier division) oxygen sensor IS, for all intents and purposes, a dealer O2 sensor, since they were the OE supplier for those to begin with. But! for something like 1/3 of the price. Took a couple of days to chase down the OE supplier and part number, but I think it was worth it.

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17

Last edited by jcp123; 07-08-2019 at 02:19 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to jcp123 For This Useful Post:
Xist (07-08-2019)