View Single Post
Old 07-09-2019, 05:05 PM   #444 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Double-bladed key

Quote:
Originally Posted by teoman View Post
That key looks very awesome! Would you be concearned in an accident? Would you mind doing a tutorial on it?
Comedian Steven Wright once joked that when he got home to his apartment one night he accidentally put his car key into the apartment building door... so he drove the apartment around the neighborhood a while. I wanted a key that could attempt to do that. This is the next best thing.

It is made using a couple washers that I found, an old house key, an old car key, so that high heat J-B Weld two-part clay ready mix in your fingers, a little two-part Jewelers epoxy, and two buttons that I purchased online.

I trimmed both the door key and the car key so that they would fit within the profile of the washers. I glued them together using the jeweler's epoxy. I then glued together the washers and the buttons with the eyehole backing removed. When those two had dried I have fixed them together using the J-B Weld stick.

The last thing I did was paint the buttons in black plasti dip, wiping away the surface of the button design before the Plasti Dip could dry. The effect was of course to feel the negative space with black plasti dip why leaving the button design clean.

The washers are steel. They respond to magnets. I store my keys on a magnet on my fridge.

I'm not concerned about what happens in an accident any more than I would be with any other set of keys I might have in the ignition. I have a bigger concern with various unsecured objects that sit in the car with me at all times, such as tools.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190528_145926.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	26369   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190710_023503.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	26371  
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 07-10-2019 at 05:39 AM.. Reason: fix the orientation what's the photograph
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Gasoline Fumes (01-14-2020), Xist (07-09-2019)