View Single Post
Old 07-14-2019, 11:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
... I saw a small benefit to mine, but mine extended out about a foot past the rear lid. How far can yours extend legally? ....
I remember measuring about 7 inches once a long time ago when I considered this, but I'm going to have to measure again. I have a feeling I'm going to want to push the legal limit a little. Did you have any method for measuring the benefit of the spoiler? Did you do any tuft testing or coast-down testing or anything like that? If you have any pictures handy I'd love to see a picture of what you installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
I used coroplast for my decklid extension, matching the curve of the trunk lid and adding 7” to the length, adding big side plates for a sort of box cavity formed at the back of the trunk lid and I’ve seen some benefit from it...
I think this looks really good, and it's really close to design I have been thinking about:

I have some clear lexan, and I've been thinking about using it to build supports that would fit into the trunk lid gap like yours do. That would still allow visibility to the part of the Civic's tail lights that are on the trunk lid itself, if that makes sense. But in truth, supports mounted directly to license plate screws is the simplest. I think you're correct that is small box-cavity-style support that is well in from the edge of the body in order to avoid obstructing the tail light is not going to be effective areodynamically at all.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.