View Single Post
Old 07-16-2019, 03:23 PM   #29 (permalink)
S Keith
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
I'm pretty sure module 13 of the Camry battery is the one that leaked. I used my RC charger to measure the IR of all the Camry's modules and they were all ~30ohm except for 13 at 55ohm. 13 is on the right of the picture, 12 is on the left.

This is the mounting hole for 13. It looks like someone bent it back into place, maybe when it was refurbished while the dealer had it before we bought it. The battery had definitely been worked on recently; some of the trunk panels weren't replaced correctly and the hardware like the bus bars didn't have much corrosion. None of the modules were numbered or marked like I've seen in most pics and videos, I wonder if they just cleaned the connections and maybe did some charge/discharges instead of replacing any modules. We've put close to 3k miles on it since buying it in March and it currently has 205k miles.
I've only seen leaks like that one time on shipped modules where the "wedge" piece that helps align modules vertically in that area is damaged when modules are shipped in a "loose" state (not clamped) with all modules in contact with one another as if they were in a pack - allows the two wedges to work against each other until one breaks.

Original batteries almost always have identical first four and last digits (5 digits total). If the first four digits and/or the last digit is different, it's likely an altered pack. Given the age at acquisition, I'd be kinda surprised if it was an original. The first four digits are manufacture date DDMY (M is 1-9, X, Y, Z; Y is alpha with F=2004, e.g., 04Xg = 10/4/2005). The last digit is a batch code. You may see some date variation by up to 3 months (RARE), but you will never see a batch code variation on an original pack.

You didn't get a P0AA6 because there was never a path from the HV battery to chassis ground. Had the electrolyte leaked and contacted the case in such a way as it maintained conductivity back to the source of the leak, you would have received a code. Looks like it just leaked and dripped never maintaining a path between ground and the HV battery. You would eventually receive a P30XX (weak block) code due to the high IR. At the number you measured (mentally adjusted for the incorrect charger value), I'm a little surprised you didn't get one yet.