View Single Post
Old 07-17-2019, 04:12 PM   #212 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
It's baaaaaaaack!

The Miata is out of hibernation, and the irksome Metro winter beater is taking a rest after delivering a surprising 77 mpg US = 3 L / 100 km on its latest tank. Best ever tank for that car!

Getting back into the Miata is pure joy by comparison.

However... I forgot how to work the radio and the MPGuino since last year. I actually wrote up a little reference guide for both of them for next year.

---

I celebrated the car's return with the purchase of a pair of only half-worn-out Insight size RE92's for the front wheels:

Unfortunately when I got home, I discovered they are NOT Insight tires, despite what the ad says: they're 175/65 instead of 165/65.

When I bought them, I only looked at the tread condition (same exact pattern) and general sidewall condition for cracking (they're fine).

RE92's in 175 width were used on the original Prius, but never on the Insight. And from what I've read on Insight Central, there not as good in terms of rolling resistance. Bummer!!

I think the seller made an honest mistake - they came as extra tires with his new-to-him 2000 Insight, but he didn't want to keep old tires around. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Oh well.

I'll mount 'em anyway, and do a coast-down comparison against the 165/65 R14 Dunlop Enasaves currently on the front of the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-07-13-17-49-17.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	26428  
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget