View Single Post
Old 07-18-2019, 01:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
From a purchasing view: if they won't talk about being interconnected, then they dont interconnect.
Good point!

Quote:
Pick a common local universal standard. Whatever the local places use.
J1772 seems to be what is used most. It's just sort of the minimum.

Quote:
Except for the Tesla and oilpan, nobody NEEDS super quick charging, and everyone I know has a box of adapter plugs. I don't believe someone will show up at work bone dry and then have to drive a hundred klicks by lunch. If they do, it shouldn't be your problem to fix.
Maybe not this year or next. But in 10 years that could be considered 'normal' ... who is to know?

Quote:
I was happy my work allowed me to plug into the 117v school bus prewarmer circuit or the pipe warmer circuit when I was running FLA.
This is Saskatchewan, Canada. It gets cold here. Like 40 below F, -40C. So we have 10A at 120V available at each parking spot to run the block heaters and interior car warmers that everyone has in their ICE vehicles. That's the good news.

But 10A * 120V .. 1200W gets you about 10 KW-h in an 8 hour shift. Minus whatever power is required to heat up the batteries so that they can take the charge (Lithium packs don't really charge when they are below 0C, so the liquid cooling/warming system needs power to warm up the batteries before/during the charge). That's the bad news. There's power ... enough maybe in spring, summer and fall. Not enough in winter.

Since someone at head office decided that our sites should be greener, and EV charging is becoming a thing ... we got some money to engineer/investigate how to put in charging infrastructure.

Taa-Daa!

I still need information, if anyone has some!

I thought this forum would be a good place to start. I'll be sending out formal info requests to ABB, Eaton, Siemens, and whoever else I can find contact information for when I get back from vacation.

I like having *SOME* information before I send out the info requests. It helps when I know what I'm asking for.