View Single Post
Old 07-24-2019, 11:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
All Darc
Banned

Beyound Meat's beyound Burger uses pea protein, but Impossible Foods's Impossible Burger do not. The Impossible Burger 1.0 version used wheat protein and potato protein, and now they ue soy textured protein and potato protein in 2.0 version.
The cellulose derived also helps to hold water (get juiceness) and releases the water slowly with heat, just like meat on grill.

Look how 2.0 it's far better than 1.0 and can even grill easily :

I couldt find potato protein yet but maybe potato starch or potato flour helps. But Impossible Food said they uses a celulosis derivate material for bonding the elements. That's what I bought (metil cellulosis). But maybe the potato protein also helps, combined with the cellulose derived to keep all elements together.

Manioc starch it's also good for bonding, and it stretchs. Brazil we have a dish called tapioca, made from a flower very rich in such starch :

Potato it's not rich in protein. It's 80% water and if we measure the protein among the solids parts we get just 10% as protein, so it have just 2% of protein for a raw potato piece.
But removing the water you have 10% of protein, and some industry process manage to split the more proteic fraction of the solids and reach a 75% protein extract. It's used as supplemantation for body builders, so it may also have some relevance as protein source in Beyound Burger, but the soy protein it's still the main source and the more complete/rich in their burger.

On Europe it's not expansive, about 2 euros per kg, cheaper than soy milk extract (powder) : https://www.targetfeeds.com/potato-protein
It claims to have 80% protein.

https://www.targetfeeds.com/media/ca...tion_sheet.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
The company I worked for never messed with potato protein.
They are doing pea protein, it doesn't like to mix with water and stay mixed. So it may be more of a food additive for solid food.

Last edited by All Darc; 07-25-2019 at 12:31 AM..