Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2019, 07:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

For you meat eaters. Kind topic, trust me.

Well, I'm not at the moment to make critics to meat industry, but to share with you a way to turn second class meat (bad cut/round) into nearly first class meat:

Despite the devices he used are pricy on Amazon, I think there are more afordable thermostatus for water for such temperatures.

I don't think that the energy consume it's so much as one may think, since it will not keep water boiling, but will just keep the temperature around 55 Celsius.

Last edited by All Darc; 07-24-2019 at 08:02 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-24-2019, 08:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
I bought one of those devices and have yet to use it. I'll have to check out the video. If the device can turn cheap cuts of meat into something tasty, I'm all about that.

Mostly I wanted a way to get perfectly cooked food without having to tend to it. That would require knowing more than 20 minutes in advance of what you're having for dinner.

I decided about an hour ago that I'm making Japanese curry rice with pork tonight. I better get to it.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Xist (07-25-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Always wanted to learn sous vide.

Instead we got ourselves an air fryer for Xmas. You can do some really cool stuff with that even if you don't bother learning or prepping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 07-24-2019, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Well, in that video the guy also add a lot of condiments before and after cook it in low temperatures for 18 hours. He only regrets that he had cut off too much of the fat. So you must keep a little more fat than he did.

Be carefull to keep note of the condments he used.
He also used a tourch to roast the surface in the final steps.

Today I did some vegan hamburgers that got pretty yummy, tastefull. I used soy texturized protein, some okara (solid fraction when we prepare soymilk from soy beams), black beams and some few wheat flour and starch to help keep it together . I had to ad a lot of condiments but it worth. I think if I had nutritional yeast it would be even better.
Instead of frypan it with oil, I put it in a electric oven. I should had let less minutes, to get some juicemess. I didn't add oil into the patty mass.

Anyway I found what Impossible Foods uses to get the soy textured protein pices togeter in their Impossible Burger 2.0 version. It also keeps the juiceness. I bought it but I still need to test.

I don't want to create in home a vegan hamburger that tastes exactly like meat, since it's nearly impossible and I would get disapointed. But if I manage to create a vegan hamburger patty very yummy, and with the texture and juiceness of a good true hamburguer, or at least quite close to it, I will be happy.

A shame I can't find potato protein, since it's one ingridient of impossible burguer. I contacted a company nthat used to comercialize it for boddybuilding supplements, but the no longer work with it and the guy from email couldn't find who manufactured the protein extract in my country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I bought one of those devices and have yet to use it. I'll have to check out the video. If the device can turn cheap cuts of meat into something tasty, I'm all about that.

Mostly I wanted a way to get perfectly cooked food without having to tend to it. That would require knowing more than 20 minutes in advance of what you're having for dinner.

I decided about an hour ago that I'm making Japanese curry rice with pork tonight. I better get to it.

Last edited by All Darc; 07-24-2019 at 08:55 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to All Darc For This Useful Post:
RustyLugNut (07-26-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 08:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Someone in this forum told that american schools uses to buy the cheapest food available to feed the students. Well, if they buy the cheapest meat cut (to make just ground beef or meat cake), they could had some roast once in a wile, using this smart technique of the video.

Question : If students pay for the lunch in american public schools (like I see in USA movies), why the quality is so low?
Is the charged price per lunch symbolic (very low) or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Always wanted to learn sous vide.

Instead we got ourselves an air fryer for Xmas. You can do some really cool stuff with that even if you don't bother learning or prepping.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
The company I worked for never messed with potato protein.
They are doing pea protein, it doesn't like to mix with water and stay mixed. So it may be more of a food additive for solid food.
The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
Xist (07-25-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 11:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Beyound Meat's beyound Burger uses pea protein, but Impossible Foods's Impossible Burger do not. The Impossible Burger 1.0 version used wheat protein and potato protein, and now they ue soy textured protein and potato protein in 2.0 version.
The cellulose derived also helps to hold water (get juiceness) and releases the water slowly with heat, just like meat on grill.

Look how 2.0 it's far better than 1.0 and can even grill easily :

I couldt find potato protein yet but maybe potato starch or potato flour helps. But Impossible Food said they uses a celulosis derivate material for bonding the elements. That's what I bought (metil cellulosis). But maybe the potato protein also helps, combined with the cellulose derived to keep all elements together.

Manioc starch it's also good for bonding, and it stretchs. Brazil we have a dish called tapioca, made from a flower very rich in such starch :

Potato it's not rich in protein. It's 80% water and if we measure the protein among the solids parts we get just 10% as protein, so it have just 2% of protein for a raw potato piece.
But removing the water you have 10% of protein, and some industry process manage to split the more proteic fraction of the solids and reach a 75% protein extract. It's used as supplemantation for body builders, so it may also have some relevance as protein source in Beyound Burger, but the soy protein it's still the main source and the more complete/rich in their burger.

On Europe it's not expansive, about 2 euros per kg, cheaper than soy milk extract (powder) : https://www.targetfeeds.com/potato-protein
It claims to have 80% protein.

https://www.targetfeeds.com/media/ca...tion_sheet.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
The company I worked for never messed with potato protein.
They are doing pea protein, it doesn't like to mix with water and stay mixed. So it may be more of a food additive for solid food.

Last edited by All Darc; 07-25-2019 at 12:31 AM..
Old 07-25-2019, 03:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
Question : If students pay for the lunch in american public schools (like I see in USA movies), why the quality is so low?
Is the charged price per lunch symbolic (very low) or not?
My guess is because once a company wins the contract to be the lunch vendor, they have a captive audience and don't really have to compete to be good. That, and kids are fine with greasy low quality food.

Prison food is worse, much worse. I was told it cost something like $2/day/prisoner, then about half way through my stay the quality got even worse, and the administrator in charge of food was recognized for saving the state even more money on food... he was later found to be taking bribes from food suppliers and fled to Iran. Interesting story:
https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2009...tory_of_o.html

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 07-25-2019, 07:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Before I started junior high, the cafeteria switched to lean hamburger.

Sales dwindled.

They switched back to fatty meat and sales returned.

Which is cheaper?
Old 07-25-2019, 07:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
All I know is one time Pa and I were at the store looking for something to grill. I saw the succulent, expensive cuts then I spotted a far, far cheaper cut and could not tell the difference by looking at it. Turns out, couldn't tell the difference eating it either!

Reply  Post New Thread