View Single Post
Old 07-26-2019, 03:00 PM   #27 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
Soy protein extract it's very cheap compared to meat, especially if you buy from producers or wholesalers. 1kg in bulk of dry soy protein texturized can be, for final copnsumer, 3 times cheaper than 1kg of meat, and I remamber that when hydrateted and removed the excess water it get 3 times heavier (still very close similar protein value to meat). So it's like be 6 times cheaper than meat.

Unless prison and schools buy really rotten meat... I think they buy meat close to expire, but expired would be against laws.

High temperatures in processing food can have effect over vitamins, but cooking do the same. But some process have use of chemicals, or took aways many nutrition things.
Maybe white wheat flour do a lot of harm just because what it loses and not because what it have. It leads to get high glicemic value and so increase obesity and diabetes. The same for corn syrup, since corn is heath food but corn syrup alone is not the kind of.

Anyway I think vegan meat will reach the point to be not just so good, 99% close in taste, but even better taste than meat. And will be cheaper (will take some time) and healtier, and necessary to cope with the global population.
Soy protein is not cheap, at least not when I used to buy it in bulk and then label it as pancake mix (my criminal youth). Since dry soy has a long shelf life, I don't think it can be cheaper than chicken or beef in bulk that is expired.

I don't think it's illegal to give inmates expired food, at least none of the rare instances where I got ice cream (Christmas/Thanksgiving) was it within the "best by" date. Anything that came in a serving size package showed expired, but I didn't observe the packaging for the bulk food since I worked landscaping and not in the kitchen.

School lunches are provided by private companies, and they would probably not purchase expired food even though they have a captive consumer. They still have to win contracts when it comes time to bid them out again, so some minimum level of quality must be there, and kids are still free to bring their own lunches.

I would hope meat alternatives become both tastier and healthier, while costing less. Seems reasonable that it could happen.

I'm a bit strange in that I don't enjoy eating as much as others. It's a necessary annoyance to me rather than something I look forward to. It gets in the way of pursuing other interests since it has to be done so often, and requires planning, and trips to the store, expenditure of money, preparation, and finally eating. Too much time wasted for an often repeated activity. I'd much prefer something injecting exactly the nutrients I need throughout the day so I don't have to think about the hassle of everything involved in eating.

As they say, some live to eat, and others eat to live. I'm the latter.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!