Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2019, 02:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Why does everyone care how I eat my steak? If someone wants their steak cook rare, medium, well-done, or anywhere in-between, I cook their steak the way they want, but what difference does it make how I like mine?

I did not care how she wanted her steak, I would have done my best to accommodate, but she went on such a rant about what a crime against humanity cooking steak well-done was I interrupted her and said "You have a great night. I am going to eat two steaks."

I never told her how I like my steak, she went on a tirade all on her own.
Why do you care how I care about other people's preference for for steak preparation? :P

The flavor in steak is in the tenderness, juiciness, and fat of it. A well done steak works against all 3 of those criteria. My hypothesis is that people that like their steaks well done don't really like steak, in which case why not save money and buy something cheaper/healthier/tastier (to them)?

Xist- I suggest more boundaries because exes should not be coming over when you tell them not to, and people shouldn't be entering your room without permission. That might mean you have to express anger and disappointment, and being disagreeable and confrontational. You're entitled to your boundaries, and the only way to enforce them is to be willing to be disagreeable. Perhaps half the reason I make critical responses to your comments is the hope that you'll tell me to go to hell, and that you would then set boundaries with others.

As far as preparing steaks for others; I'm going to try my best to accommodate their preferences. Hosting others is about making them comfortable in a home that isn't theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
I found a way to cut costs of meals on prisons even more...
That isn't cheaper than buying expired meat that has next to no value in the consumer distribution channels. It then only has value to those that have no purchasing power, such as the homeless and imprisoned.

The amount of processing done to food doesn't necessarily have any bearing on the quality or nutrition. In fact, no processing often has negative nutritional value. If you just break off a husk of corn and start gnawing on it, it's the least processed way you can have corn, and about the least nutritional because it must be separated from the parts that can't be digested (husk, hair, stalk) and cooked to unlock the nutrition.

BTW- I'm completely open to arguments that meat is murder, or that it's unhealthy, or any other such arguments because I don't take them personally, even if someone is directly calling me a murderer. I've got my own thought out counter-arguments.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-26-2019, 02:17 PM   #22 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Fine. Go to a feminist convention. Wear a Turnip shirt.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 02:30 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Do you still have your rifle from army times???

You could just show people how good you can fire riots. Maybe they think twice before take your stuff.

Quote:
Fine. Go to a feminist convention. Wear a Turnip shirt.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:43 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Soy protein extract it's very cheap compared to meat, especially if you buy from producers or wholesalers. 1kg in bulk of dry soy protein texturized can be, for final copnsumer, 3 times cheaper than 1kg of meat, and I remamber that when hydrateted and removed the excess water it get 3 times heavier (still very close similar protein value to meat). So it's like be 6 times cheaper than meat.
This for countris that produces a lot of meat, like Brazil, and have low prices for meat. For countries where meat are more costly, the difference is even higher.

Unless prison and schools buy really rotten meat... I think they buy meat close to expire, but expired would be against laws.

High temperatures in processing food can have effect over vitamins, but cooking do the same. But some process have use of chemicals, or took aways many nutrition things.
Maybe white wheat flour do a lot of harm just because what it loses and not because what it have. It leads to get high glicemic value and so increase obesity and diabetes. The same for corn syrup, since corn is heath food but corn syrup alone is not the kind of.

Anyway I think vegan meat will reach the point to be not just so good, 99% close in taste, but even better taste than meat. And will be cheaper (will take some time) and healtier, and necessary to cope with the global population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
That isn't cheaper than buying expired meat that has next to no value in the consumer distribution channels. It then only has value to those that have no purchasing power, such as the homeless and imprisoned.

The amount of processing done to food doesn't necessarily have any bearing on the quality or nutrition. In fact, no processing often has negative nutritional value. If you just break off a husk of corn and start gnawing on it, it's the least processed way you can have corn, and about the least nutritional because it must be separated from the parts that can't be digested (husk, hair, stalk) and cooked to unlock the nutrition.

BTW- I'm completely open to arguments that meat is murder, or that it's unhealthy, or any other such arguments because I don't take them personally, even if someone is directly calling me a murderer. I've got my own thought out counter-arguments.

Last edited by All Darc; 07-26-2019 at 02:54 PM..
Old 07-26-2019, 02:59 PM   #25 (permalink)
Not Doug

Food may expire before the Best By date or it may still be good, you do not serve it just because it is before the date and, at least at home, you do not toss it just because it passed the date.

How about spices and condiments? Is my ketchup bad because it is a week past some arbitrary date?

Is my salt?

How about my water bottle, thanks New Jersey!

Then there is Walmart...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FjGJwsx.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	26526  
Old 07-26-2019, 03:00 PM   #26 (permalink)
Not Doug

Weapons are issued, not given. When I was in-garrison mine was stored in the arms room and then I signed for it when I ordered to.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:00 PM   #27 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
Soy protein extract it's very cheap compared to meat, especially if you buy from producers or wholesalers. 1kg in bulk of dry soy protein texturized can be, for final copnsumer, 3 times cheaper than 1kg of meat, and I remamber that when hydrateted and removed the excess water it get 3 times heavier (still very close similar protein value to meat). So it's like be 6 times cheaper than meat.

Unless prison and schools buy really rotten meat... I think they buy meat close to expire, but expired would be against laws.

High temperatures in processing food can have effect over vitamins, but cooking do the same. But some process have use of chemicals, or took aways many nutrition things.
Maybe white wheat flour do a lot of harm just because what it loses and not because what it have. It leads to get high glicemic value and so increase obesity and diabetes. The same for corn syrup, since corn is heath food but corn syrup alone is not the kind of.

Anyway I think vegan meat will reach the point to be not just so good, 99% close in taste, but even better taste than meat. And will be cheaper (will take some time) and healtier, and necessary to cope with the global population.
Soy protein is not cheap, at least not when I used to buy it in bulk and then label it as pancake mix (my criminal youth). Since dry soy has a long shelf life, I don't think it can be cheaper than chicken or beef in bulk that is expired.

I don't think it's illegal to give inmates expired food, at least none of the rare instances where I got ice cream (Christmas/Thanksgiving) was it within the "best by" date. Anything that came in a serving size package showed expired, but I didn't observe the packaging for the bulk food since I worked landscaping and not in the kitchen.

School lunches are provided by private companies, and they would probably not purchase expired food even though they have a captive consumer. They still have to win contracts when it comes time to bid them out again, so some minimum level of quality must be there, and kids are still free to bring their own lunches.

I would hope meat alternatives become both tastier and healthier, while costing less. Seems reasonable that it could happen.

I'm a bit strange in that I don't enjoy eating as much as others. It's a necessary annoyance to me rather than something I look forward to. It gets in the way of pursuing other interests since it has to be done so often, and requires planning, and trips to the store, expenditure of money, preparation, and finally eating. Too much time wasted for an often repeated activity. I'd much prefer something injecting exactly the nutrients I need throughout the day so I don't have to think about the hassle of everything involved in eating.

As they say, some live to eat, and others eat to live. I'm the latter.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 07-26-2019, 03:13 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

Redpoint, remamber that stores (or some brands with health philosophy agenda) and marketing put the prices as much high as they can fool consumers. A extract from rice, the little thin skin of rice, it's a very rich nutrient, but is removed for make white rice, instead of wholegrain rice. On Europe this residue it's sold by high prices as nutritional suplement, but on Brazil they took tons of it to feed cows.
Brow sugar it's cheaper to produce than white sugar, but it's sold by higher prices to final consumers than white sugar.

Prison can buy from wholesallers or even producers of soy protein. You can't judge prices from the small store in the corner of the block or from a brand that put photos hot female models making gym.

About expired food. It must be checked to see if it's not good for human consume, since the expired date it's a estimation and not a very precise thing. It it's stil usefull it can be used, if it will bew consumed fast. In prison I think the high number of people make stocks last short time. But without checking quality, and especially it expired by a considerable time, it's cleary a crime.

Last edited by All Darc; 07-26-2019 at 03:20 PM..
Old 07-26-2019, 03:15 PM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Uhhnnn...
Maybe you can tell them how you learned body fight tecnics to broke necks.

Quote:
Weapons are issued, not given. When I was in-garrison mine was stored in the arms room and then I signed for it when I ordered to.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:52 PM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

I found the right restaurant for you :

https://youtu.be/857zXlW9ZHo?t=2741

This charqacter in this film only needs to get such aminoacids, and last weaks without need to "eat" again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I'm a bit strange in that I don't enjoy eating as much as others. It's a necessary annoyance to me rather than something I look forward to. It gets in the way of pursuing other interests since it has to be done so often, and requires planning, and trips to the store, expenditure of money, preparation, and finally eating. Too much time wasted for an often repeated activity. I'd much prefer something injecting exactly the nutrients I need throughout the day so I don't have to think about the hassle of everything involved in eating.

As they say, some live to eat, and others eat to live. I'm the latter.

Reply  Post New Thread