View Single Post
Old 07-26-2019, 04:13 PM   #31 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,395 Times in 3,368 Posts
All Darc- You're certainly more expert than me on the topic of food and nutrition since it's not an interest of mine. I suspect you're right about soy potentially replacing meat in both taste and nutrition... did you read that article I linked? It explained how the food was purchased so cheaply and implies why the guy was motivated to reduce costs (to justify him taking bribes).

The prison food system doesn't currently have a process to turn soy into food substitutes. They need to buy things which can be prepared with standard kitchen appliances such as ovens and fryers.

The soy I was buying was sold in bulk, and even then it was something like $5/lb. Consumer grade chicken and certain cuts of beef are less than that, and I'm sure expired low grade beef is much cheaper than that. I used to mix it with milk and drink it until I read that soy protein encourages testosterone conversion to estrogen, and that milk already has the highest grade of protein; whey. Also, I stopped stealing it (labeling it as buttermilk pancake mix for $1/lb) when I matured, but still didn't have much money to spend.

Xist is certainly capable of being physically imposing, which I think he takes extra care to avoid, and maybe partially why he avoids conflict or deals with it through humor.

I'm the best man at a wedding in 2 weeks for a guy I punched in the face one new years eve. He was the last person I've hit (and it was long ago). While I'm not advocating settling issues and setting boundaries with violence (though it's necessary sometimes), I am saying that being confrontational and defining clear boundaries doesn't mean you lose friends. They end up respecting you. I learned it by necessity in prison because those that allow their boundaries to be compromised get ruthlessly abused. If you set those boundaries right away and don't let people test them, it's usually not necessary to physically defend them later on. It's the whole "punch someone in the face on the first day in prison" concept, only trying to avoid making enemies in the process. At minimum you'll earn respect, and possibly you'll earn a friend. Any friendship that lacks respect isn't worth maintaining.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!