Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2019, 04:13 PM   #31 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
All Darc- You're certainly more expert than me on the topic of food and nutrition since it's not an interest of mine. I suspect you're right about soy potentially replacing meat in both taste and nutrition... did you read that article I linked? It explained how the food was purchased so cheaply and implies why the guy was motivated to reduce costs (to justify him taking bribes).

The prison food system doesn't currently have a process to turn soy into food substitutes. They need to buy things which can be prepared with standard kitchen appliances such as ovens and fryers.

The soy I was buying was sold in bulk, and even then it was something like $5/lb. Consumer grade chicken and certain cuts of beef are less than that, and I'm sure expired low grade beef is much cheaper than that. I used to mix it with milk and drink it until I read that soy protein encourages testosterone conversion to estrogen, and that milk already has the highest grade of protein; whey. Also, I stopped stealing it (labeling it as buttermilk pancake mix for $1/lb) when I matured, but still didn't have much money to spend.

Xist is certainly capable of being physically imposing, which I think he takes extra care to avoid, and maybe partially why he avoids conflict or deals with it through humor.

I'm the best man at a wedding in 2 weeks for a guy I punched in the face one new years eve. He was the last person I've hit (and it was long ago). While I'm not advocating settling issues and setting boundaries with violence (though it's necessary sometimes), I am saying that being confrontational and defining clear boundaries doesn't mean you lose friends. They end up respecting you. I learned it by necessity in prison because those that allow their boundaries to be compromised get ruthlessly abused. If you set those boundaries right away and don't let people test them, it's usually not necessary to physically defend them later on. It's the whole "punch someone in the face on the first day in prison" concept, only trying to avoid making enemies in the process. At minimum you'll earn respect, and possibly you'll earn a friend. Any friendship that lacks respect isn't worth maintaining.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-27-2019, 09:20 PM   #32 (permalink)
Banned

I can predict you as the best man at wedding :

Better than punch the guy...
;-)
Also a baptism together...

A bit off topic... but come-on...
The wendding ritual and the wedding votes are the biggest lies most people say in public in their entire lifes. Human beings... what a weird species...

Even friendships today are disrupted... It's more like people use others to get along & party, but don't really care about.

If a friendship require that respect come from physical imposing or power, it's not realy worthwhile. Anyway very few things or people are worthwhile these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I'm the best man at a wedding in 2 weeks for a guy I punched in the face one new years eve. He was the last person I've hit (and it was long ago).

Last edited by All Darc; 07-27-2019 at 09:30 PM..
Old 07-28-2019, 01:14 PM   #33 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
It's more about respecting someone who respects themselves enough to have boundaries, and the sense and commitment enough to enforce them. If you're in a world where that's with fists, then that's what you get. Those worlds tend to be a little more clear cut, is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 07-28-2019, 01:44 PM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

This sounds almost about animal kingdom, where a animal respect the other by the power or force they have.
Unfortunately most people are animals, not really civilized, and just understand power in a way or another. Even than not psysical power, but other forms of power, like money, influence, leadership power, property or psychologic influence/imponence.

People complain about the world be violent, with wars, destruction, unjustice, but they forgot they are quite the same or worse. Most people would destroy the world very easily if they had power. The world it's just still stand because we have a thing, almost a science, called diplomacy, with the intention to save humanity from thenselves.

It will be no surprise if such animals (humans) in future became just pets of supercomputer machines with advanced artificial intelligence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
It's more about respecting someone who respects themselves enough to have boundaries, and the sense and commitment enough to enforce them. If you're in a world where that's with fists, then that's what you get. Those worlds tend to be a little more clear cut, is all.

Last edited by All Darc; 07-28-2019 at 02:04 PM..
Old 07-28-2019, 06:30 PM   #35 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
This sounds almost about animal kingdom, where a animal respect the other by the power or force they have.
Not necessarily; that's way too simplistic of a description of human behavior. The people in prison that I demanded respect from were way more powerful than me. Men mostly resolve conflict without force. I may not be able to defeat a guy much bigger than me, but I can wound him badly, and all that isn't worth the trouble when I'm simply telling the guy that he's going to stop f'n with my seat-belt and start showing the same respect I give him. His response was to say he's going to kill me, and that he'd have a pitchfork on our work assignment... but after that, he never said another word to me and generally avoided being around me. He wouldn't even sit on my footlocker after that; something that I never cared if anyone did.

There's a difference between escalating a situation and standing your ground.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Xist (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 07:27 PM   #36 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,218 Times in 1,709 Posts
[Gets off RedPoint's footlocker]
Old 07-28-2019, 11:19 PM   #37 (permalink)
Banned

Xist, I hope you don't mind or don't get upset with this question. But anyway :

Are the kind of "8 or 80" guy?
I mean, somene who use to be very kind, fair, with tolerance, someone that requires really a lot of screw-up from others against you to turn you mad & agressive, but when your aggressiveness turns ON it get really serious or really mad. Is that the case?
Are you afraid of yourself? Afraid to get really made and over reacting, or get too violent?

Some people are like that, like the last drop of water than a cup can hold, and with one more drop things overflow.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:38 AM   #38 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,218 Times in 1,709 Posts
Someone once told me that most Veterans she knew were no-nonsense. I fear that I am full of nonsense, but I believe in not dignifying things with a response.

If someone says something stupid, I usually do not bother.

What could would it do?

A Sergeant once said that he can tell that I am angry because I just walk away.

Dad had anger issues. There was not any reasoning with him. He would shout "Come back here! We're not finished discussing this!"

There was no discussion, only potato.

Wait, that is a meme.

I usually avoid getting angry and I will get out of the situation instead of losing control.

The worst that I have ever done is yell something illogical.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:26 AM   #39 (permalink)
Banned

People ho needs to humiliate others, even close fasmily, to feel better with themselves, to feel they are someone in life, are despicable. In the deep they feel as trash and to try to overcome this they end like trying make others feel like a trash too.
I know people like that, they should be isolated from society or be ignored, put away from others.

But anway this world is so full of dum..sh...t sick people that I think it would be easier to create zones exclusive for good people, people with character and reasoning. It's a situation that it's easier to reward the goods than punishing the bads.

Last edited by All Darc; 07-29-2019 at 08:43 AM..
Old 07-29-2019, 10:45 AM   #40 (permalink)
Banned

I tried to translat your expression about potato meme, but couldn't find the translation, but I found this :

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/ma...and-depression

https://www.catersnews.com/stories/r...ly-eats-chips/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...rly-foods.html

By the way, how can I cut french fried with the wave format??

This potatos looks yummy... I want to make such dish like in this piture, in a oven.

Edited : They use this to cut :

But I still need to know if it's just potato ona oven or it's pre fried a bit in oil (just a bit) or if it's not fried but if receives or not some oil brushs before get into the oven.

Last edited by All Darc; 07-29-2019 at 11:04 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread