View Single Post
Old 07-30-2019, 03:19 AM   #6320 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by litesong View Post
No one said anything about dying. redpoint5 keeps returning to the "iffy" subject.
I'm actually very much in agreement with the sentiments you shared. What I'm saying is that those are calls to individual action, not a framework for governance.

Laws carry with it the threat of death. If there was a law saying I must accommodate a certain arbitrary category of people in my home at my expense, and I refused every step, the scenario would escalate. Perhaps there'd be fines at first, and then not paying the fines ends up in a warrant for arrest, and then an officer visits my home and tells me I have to go with him, and then I refuse to go, and then he pulls out the sticks and pepper spray, and then I put on armor and a gas mask... eventually they're shooting me because I maintained that I have legal ownership and responsibility of the home I purchased as a result of the fruits of my labor, and the state disagreed.

Need does not imply a legal obligation. If I needed your kidney to live, that doesn't give me legal right to your organs. If the state told you that you'll be giving me your kidney regardless of your consent, it wouldn't be an act of generosity. If I legally took your kidney against your will, I'd still have morally violated you.

I have someone staying rent free now, and I'm loaning a car to someone else because those were needs I could accommodate. My generosity isn't something I care to discuss lest it be boastful, but I want to make it clear that I'm all for helping people at the individual level, especially because that's the level of greatest effectiveness.

...this was a long response to an idea of mine you took out of context. The context was specifically that anyone saying there will be hoards of people knocking down your door (painting a false picture of fear) unless we act immediately (false sense of urgency) to elect them (grant them power) to solve all our problems (false savior)- is either profoundly corrupt, or profoundly ignorant. That might describe most politicians.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!