View Single Post
Old 08-02-2019, 05:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
It's natural to want to "win", and it seems that those who cannot win an intellectual discussion dismiss reason and either place it as less valuable than their emotion, or simply delude themselves into believing some twisted incoherent version of reason. Perhaps that is more noticeable in Brazil, but it's certainly something increasingly observed in the US.

I'm not one to let someone being wrong get in the way of being friends with them. At the same time, I'm also not one to be manipulated into agreeing with someone merely to be liked. People should like me for seeking truth, not for being agreeable.

To that end, I probably annoy one of the people staying with us that is looking for job. She's very driven by emotion and given to liberal ideology (though not the most extreme). I enjoy discussions with her, but she probably gets a bit frustrated sometimes (I'm nearly dead center politically with a tiny nudge towards liberty). At least she acknowledges the many friends she has that abuse social welfare.

In the US, the biggest poverty is meaning. We don't physically starve to death, we emotionally starve to death.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!