View Single Post
Old 08-04-2019, 10:51 PM   #27 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
That's one of the issues I had with mine. I didn't see a way to securely attach it without drilling an aluminum plate onto the hatch or doing something with fiberglass.
I chose not to fiberglass today. The template is badly warped and I have no other materials. Think I could fiberglass over paper-wrapped foam board? $2 would get me enough for the experiment tomorrow. Think it might warp as the glass & resin dries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Maybe a cheap hatch from someone parting out a car you can drill into? but that would be quite the undertaking.
No drilling. I still think I will want to use maybe 5 neodymium magnets, 3 or 4mm high, with countersink holes to take screws that will point upward from the decklid. A hole cutting drill bit will make it possible to set the magnet into the spoiler so it lays flush on the decklid. Maybe 4 good layers of plastidip at the magnet/trunklid contact point could reduce unnecessary paint damage. A few self locking nuts could secure the spoiler to the protruding screws on the trunk. The spoiler material I am considering making out of 6mm black polymetal. Polymetal, I am assured, will not as easily warp, like these cheaper prototyping materials have.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.