View Single Post
Old 08-17-2019, 05:15 PM   #6551 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
In his book(s),'How Not To Die',Dr. Michael Gregor fingered salt,sugar,high-fructose corn sugar,fat,processed foods,(the standard American diet) as the gateway to high blood pressure,clogged arteries,morbid obesity,type-2 diabetes,heart attack,and stroke.

...I've got a neighbor that tried the KETO diet,and is gonna try vegan/vegetarian.
This comment is for the broader audience, but there's nothing that distinguishes high fructose corn sugar from other simple sugars, such as cane sugar from a health standpoint. The reason it's unhealthy is because of excessive consumption, not because it's a particularly "bad" type of sugar.

If KETO is the one where you eat only lipids, then my friend tried that one, and after an initial terrible period of being lethargic, adapted to the diet. It allowed him to miss meals without feeling drained, and generally helped stabilize energy levels while developing a leaner physique without exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
There are existing cultures today,in which no daily experience brushes up against economics.We want to be precise in our use of language. If you want to use 'economics' as a metaphor for belief/attitude,need,strategy,action,reward there wouldn't really need to be anything else said.
Perhaps my usage is broad, but there is a system of "economics" in any culture, meaning a method of balancing what you desire with the desires of everyone else.

Most simple cultures aren't simple because they have chosen it, but because they haven't had opportunity to consume more. There are exceptions such as the Amish, but primitive tribes are moving towards modernization.

The Gods Must Be Crazy is a satire about how greed is intrinsic to the human soul, and it's often lack of opportunity that prevents those malevolent behaviors from springing up.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-21-2019)