View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 05:59 PM   #41 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
An empty little diesel might hit 40.

30 & 20 as I cited is solo. But not empty. The high cylinder pressure makes a diesel less sensitive to added weight (to a point). I can add almost 1k in weight and not change a baseline MPG figure.

Besides, if the trucklet can’t carry half the payload, it’ll make two trips. Size or weight.

30 & 20 is fair because it’s already beneath potential. Like everyone else, I’ll be interested if we ever have a number set to work with (scaled weight tickets to isolate true payload — and a pic to show aero — plus constant use of cruise control over a described course).

For this and other private ventures, it’s like pulling teeth. I doubt very much we will ever see it. No scale tickets? Invalid MPG. CC use not constant? Invalid MPG. Failure to describe course & conditions plus a pic? Invalid MPG

Conditions MUST be such that the fuel burn really doesn’t change from driver to driver. The absolute number isn’t important.

But the gas version doesn't hit 20 doing all the things you lay out. If you want to just compare EPA vs EPA fine, but most likely the diesel will beat the EPA on average and the gas will fall short, at least that's what you will see 10,000 times on fuelly.com.

the 6.2 for the same price has less payload and trailer rating, the 5.3 for $2500 less has slightly more payload and tow rating but we are talking a few hundred pounds, both beat the payload on my old 2004 2500 Cummins Ram.

Like I said IF you were buying a new Chevy 1500 pickup (and millions will) I think the 3.0 diesel option is a no-brainier. Maybe you disagree with pickups in general, but obviously it is the best choice for a bunch of people judging by sales numbers. You may not think so, but whenever people are spending their own hard earned money, unlike say something the government does, I have to trust that it is the best thing available to do the things they want to do with it.