View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 03:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Do you have a specific issue with the site? Well, I have a specific issue with the title, which I put in the subject.

It can bankrupt top competitors, but not bottom competitors?

1. They have advertised 1 - 3 million EV sales in 2025 across 30 - 70 models, but since when do manufacturers meet expectations.
What will the manufacturer of diesels once thought to be without comparison do to electric?
2. The company is building EVs from the ground up on a solid EV platform shared across various models and classes.
Sounds efficient, but will we see 70, 30, or even 10 models by 2025?
3. A board member basically said "We are Volkswagen, we can create the market."
They can also create a car that is easy to maintain.
4. They are spending millions on advertising.
That three-wheeled gas-powered trike talked a great deal of hype...
5. "VW may have some large battery supplies secured with various partners." (italics original)
So far there is not proof of anything.
6. "Volkswagen Group has been leading the rollout of fast charging and superfast charging stations in Europe and the US."
Oh yeah?! Good for you!
7. "VW’s first fully electric models built electric from the ground up target high-volume vehicle classes — essentially a replacement for the Golf (ID.3) and an attractive electric crossover (ID.CROZZ)."
Show me F150 and Expedition competitors and I will care. What about semis?

The article also points out that Toyota has done very little about making a fully-electric car, just the hydrogen nonsense.

I do not see a comment section. Aside from trolls, I can usually find supporting or contradictory information there.

Will Honda save us?

Well, they are doing something. Their Clarity is available in limited quantities, but only has an 89-mile range. They have a hydrogen-powered one that goes four times as far without...energy source replacement? (it is also only available on lease)

Did Toyota ever start selling hydrogen cars in the U.S.? Well, Wikipedia says they sold 2,900, but that may be out-of-date:
Quote:
Toyota Mirai - 1,700 (down 7.5% from 1,838)
Honda Clarity Fuel Cell - 624 (up from 431 a year ago, according to our estimations)
https://www.insideevs.com/news/34237...-2300-in-2018/

So, Toyota sold 3,538 in two years and Honda sold 1,075 in the same time frame.

How much energy does it cost to produce one kilogram of hydrogen, the equivalent of a gallon of gasoline. I know that the cheapest method involves natural gas, but what about electrolysis?

Quote:
[C]urrent best processes for water electrolysis have an effective electrical efficiency of 70-80%, so that producing 1 kg of hydrogen (which has a specific energy of 143 MJ/kg or about 40 kWh/kg) requires 50–55 kWh of electricity. At an electricity cost of $0.06/kWh, as set out in the Department of Energy hydrogen production targets for 2015, the hydrogen cost is $3/kg. With the range of natural gas prices from 2016 as shown in the graph (Hydrogen Production Tech Team Roadmap, November 2017) putting the cost of SMR hydrogen at between $1.20 and $1.50
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_economy

Yeah. Okay. I do not know how much it costs, but we cannot afford not to?