View Single Post
Old 08-28-2019, 05:47 AM   #41 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
My kit came with bolt gaskets and washers. I spent far too long removing those the first time. Pry them apart with a flathead, cut off the old gasket, slide off the old washer, and I have seen two ways to install the new washers and gaskets. Some tap them into place with a 12mm socket, but I think that twists the rubber too much. Mine seemed to hold, but the other way is to use a small flathead screwdriver to stretch the gasket around the flange.
I do not know the terms. Hopefully this makes sense.
I used a flathead to separate the washer and gasket, slid on the washer, and then used the flathead to stretch the gasket over the end.
I could not see any clear instructions on which way the plug seals go, but as far as I can tell, you are supposed to have metal-on-rubber on all sides. If you install it the other way, there is a ring of air between the valve cover and the seal, and I do not believe that is correct.
1AAuto says to use a pocket screwdriver to flange the seal around the tube. You need to make sure the seal is around the tube. I did this last time. Hopefully it helped, and it would have failed earlier otherwise.
When you install the bolts and tighten, go carefully and evenly. I think mine got pinched last time, which might be why they failed.
Hopefully this fixes my problem. From what I can tell, if this does not work, I need to remove the rocker arm assembly and replace the seals underneath.
7.2 ft-lbs for the valve cover bolts and 13 ft-lbs for the spark plugs. Who torques spark plugs?! After all of this, I am not taking chances!

People had different methods for removing the oil, but one guy said to spray brake cleaner into the spark plug tubes when you first remove the boots, that way the oil can evaporate before you finish. Brake cleaner sure evaporates quickly, but I do not believe it makes oil evaporate, especially since I used two quick squirts (he said 2 - 3). It seemed to dissolve the oil and just sit there, so I cut a shop towel, and had it soak up the liquid.

Well, the engine seemed to operate within specified parameters until the alternator belt squealed ridiculously at 0240.
It squeals sometimes on startup. I replaced the belts when I replaced the hoses, seals, and timing belt, all with Honda parts. The belt gets loose sometimes, but seemed tight earlier. Too tight? I don't know!