View Single Post
Old 08-28-2019, 11:31 AM   #6628 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
I expect population growth to decline at increasing rates and peak within my lifetime. Any rate of growth is unsustainable in the long term.

Households had been slightly reducing electricity consumption over the past couple decades or so, but I expect we're starting to slightly go back the other direction again. Everything is "smart" and "connected" now. That takes electricity. I've got something like 6 Google Home devices because they were so cheap and included with other purchases. I've got a Google Chromecast, a smart thermostat, smart sprinkler, smart outlets and switches... (I can hear freebeard cringing now). Enormous TVs are cheap these days, and newer OLED technology actually consumes a little more power than the LED/LCD technology it replaces.

I'll point out that our economic system isn't based on inequality; it's the natural state of the world. The world is unequal, and we're members of it. That poses problems that might warrant some sort of intervention, but inequality itself does not imply injustice, unless you're speaking in a cosmic sense in that good fortune is not bestowed evenly.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!