View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 01:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
The color of one's skin is of no interest to me with regards to any story that could be told. I'm also opposed to using the adjective "African American" unless we're talking about someone who was born in Africa and gained American citizenship. It doesn't describe skin color because ~10% of Africans are white. My preference when referring to someone is by their name, but if all I had to go on was skin color, I'd simply say black. BTW- my grandmother was from Japan. I'm not Asian-American. I am native American (born in the Americas) or a US citizen.

The strongest link to most of the negative outcomes for a person is single parent households. We celebrate single parents as heros while their descendants drop out of school, become dependents (on society), or worse, predators. I don't mean to vilify single parents, and there are many who do a wonderful job raising their children, but we certainly should not be encouraging this outcome; not culturally, and not with government programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
People would still run away. Unles they were close target of a armed criminal, AND if they were not caught by surprise.
In real life a criminal approachs you already with his gun on hand, and you have no time to get your gun, unlock, point and use.

No ofense to USA people (and you north americans know I talk bad about my own country a lot). But USA people should learn with jananese people. Japanese kill thenselves and just it, when they are deep depressed or frustrated, instead of kill people around before suicide like some USA people do.
Japanese call it honor, while USA shooter suicides are just pathetic.
Japanese have the opposite problem of the US; overemphasis on the group. They address each other by their family name because the group identity is more important than their individuality. Culturally, the misfits internalize problems and choose suicide over murder. In the US, we overemphasize individuality, and thus when problems are encountered by an individual, they externalize it as a problem with others.

Somewhere between the 2 extremes there is appropriate balance of acknowledging individual agency and honoring and working toward the well-being of the group.

As far as citizens carrying firearms goes; as many people who are brave enough, disciplined, and trained to responsibly carry, should. How many crimes were prevented by a citizen carrying a gun? You don't always have to use it to deter crime, and we don't remember the stories where gunmen were stopped by armed citizens.

Police are almost never first responders; and usually last responders. We're primarily responsible for the health of our communities, with government agencies representing the very last and worst remedy to a problem that should never have gotten to that point.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 09-05-2019 at 02:12 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Xist (09-05-2019)