View Single Post
Old 09-13-2019, 11:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Andyinchville1
EcoModding Lurker

//// TDI Prius OR TDI Corolla ? ////

Hi All,

Recently I came across a wrecked 2003 Jetta TDI and thought about getting it for the engine to do an interesting swap.

I drive doing delivery work so maximum mileage (and durability) means maximum savings.

I currently have 2 cars that can fit everything I need to haul... the smaller one being a 1996 Geo Prism (4 door rear seats removed for space) and the other being my 2003 Jetta wagon which still needs TLC.

Since my Wagon was down (soon to be fixed), I had briefly looked into getting a Toyota Prius ... they get really good mileage, have space, and use cheaper fuel to boot (yes they can be modded to handle better too .... been researching!).

Anyways, I came across a 2006 Prius with a blown engine the owner was getting rid of and the ol brain started clicking!

I think the TDI into Prius swap would be "better" mileage wise (aero and hybrid!) BUTwould be a bit harder because an adapter plate would have to be fabbed to attach the TDI to to the hybrid drive not to mention the need to change the TDI output shaft (via adapter?) to get the TDI to work.

On the other hand,

I was thinking about a TDI into an older Toyota Corolla (like my Geo Prism) something in the 2002 and before model year since the cars were pretty light back then (per my research about 2400 lbs .... this is way less weight than my Jetta Wagon which I have seen figures as high as 3200 lbs ).

My thinking is the huge weight savings could allow the engine to pull a much higher 5th gear (5th gear change) for even better fuel mileage not to mention pretty peppy performance because of the lighter weight !

My thinking on this would be to remove the running gear out of the corolla and fit in a TDI and 5 speed in its place.

This would probably be an easier swap than into a prius ....

If only the Prius were lighter, then it would be a no brainer ....

Anyways, what do you all think ?

For potential Prius install , does anybody have a schematic of the TDI engine to Transmission bolt pattern and engine output shaft specs?

Let me know what you all think .... my helper is a pretty handy guy and between we have all the tools needed to fab and tinker with just need technical assistance.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Andrew