View Single Post
Old 09-18-2019, 10:47 PM   #32 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunfj40 View Post
Hello again Hersbird,

Ah, if that part is actually covered (my Dad's wasn't, IIRC, and it was not out of warranty as far as I know - he didn't keep it as long as he usually does. I can't help but think he would not have been so annoyed if it had been covered.) then you're good at least on the cost front. Do note the warning about the AdBlue though, if it is empty or doesn't work right (according to what the sensors tell the engine computer, anyway - and it can tell if you used something other than AdBlue!) it'll eventually give you a 600 mile countdown timer to no-restart.

Oh, and I don't recall exactly whether that particular engine has the issue, but there's something picky about the oil specification - if the TDI you get is one of the picky ones, not using the right VW oil spec (not a regular industry spec, a one-off like GM's Dexos or whatever) it eats the cam or something.

Aside from all that, it should be a great distance-cruiser tow-beast! I was interested in the previous model that still had low range (through 2009 IIRC) but it's hard to find the diff locks in the US and, more importantly, my primary commute is 11 miles one way, which isn't great for a diesel in winter.
the DEF system is definitely part of the emissions warranty they extended. Basically anything to do with keeping the NOx where it was supposed to be is covered. Even Bosch the supplier of the computer was tagged with paying $1500 to each owner part of the settlement because their computer permitted the cheating. (although I'm not positive the computer is actually covered, I think it is)

They do have 4 of the 2010s that were the older style with low range (none with diff locks or the air suspension). That is what I thought I wanted too until I drove the newer version. Dropping that low range dropped 400 pounds off the car and the old transmission and trasfer case were a couple of the problem areas. I think the new 8 speed is a heavy duty Aisin. From a transmission supply shop, "It is the most powerful of modern RWD Aisin transmission capable of transmitting the torque up to 800 Nm (590 ft-lbs)" although I know they also have a massive Aisin optional on the latest Cummins Rams that must be better as those things put out 1000 ft-lbs stock.
According to the EPA the 2011 gets 2mpg (almost 10%) combined better than the 2010. It just feels tighter as well, and both I tested had the same 94,000 miles on them.

I should hopefully have a normal 8 hour day tomorrow and go actually make a deal. I've been working past when the dealership is open all week! Good for paying for a car, bad for actually having time to get in.

Last edited by Hersbird; 09-18-2019 at 10:54 PM..