Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2019, 10:57 AM   #31 (permalink)
Lurking Eco-wall-o-texter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Good thing is that part of the system (everything motor, turbo, exhaust, emissions) has a 4 year 46000 mile warranty from my purchase date (whenever that may be) or 10 years 120,000 miles from manufacturing whatever is longer. One of the ones I am leaning to is a 2012 with 68,000 miles on it. The dealer I'm working with also adds the lifetime powertrain as long as you do whatever VW preventative calls for for oil changes and transmission services at any ASE service center.
Hello again Hersbird,

Ah, if that part is actually covered (my Dad's wasn't, IIRC, and it was not out of warranty as far as I know - he didn't keep it as long as he usually does. I can't help but think he would not have been so annoyed if it had been covered.) then you're good at least on the cost front. Do note the warning about the AdBlue though, if it is empty or doesn't work right (according to what the sensors tell the engine computer, anyway - and it can tell if you used something other than AdBlue!) it'll eventually give you a 600 mile countdown timer to no-restart.

Oh, and I don't recall exactly whether that particular engine has the issue, but there's something picky about the oil specification - if the TDI you get is one of the picky ones, not using the right VW oil spec (not a regular industry spec, a one-off like GM's Dexos or whatever) it eats the cam or something.

Aside from all that, it should be a great distance-cruiser tow-beast! I was interested in the previous model that still had low range (through 2009 IIRC) but it's hard to find the diff locks in the US and, more importantly, my primary commute is 11 miles one way, which isn't great for a diesel in winter.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-18-2019, 10:47 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunfj40 View Post
Hello again Hersbird,

Ah, if that part is actually covered (my Dad's wasn't, IIRC, and it was not out of warranty as far as I know - he didn't keep it as long as he usually does. I can't help but think he would not have been so annoyed if it had been covered.) then you're good at least on the cost front. Do note the warning about the AdBlue though, if it is empty or doesn't work right (according to what the sensors tell the engine computer, anyway - and it can tell if you used something other than AdBlue!) it'll eventually give you a 600 mile countdown timer to no-restart.

Oh, and I don't recall exactly whether that particular engine has the issue, but there's something picky about the oil specification - if the TDI you get is one of the picky ones, not using the right VW oil spec (not a regular industry spec, a one-off like GM's Dexos or whatever) it eats the cam or something.

Aside from all that, it should be a great distance-cruiser tow-beast! I was interested in the previous model that still had low range (through 2009 IIRC) but it's hard to find the diff locks in the US and, more importantly, my primary commute is 11 miles one way, which isn't great for a diesel in winter.
the DEF system is definitely part of the emissions warranty they extended. Basically anything to do with keeping the NOx where it was supposed to be is covered. Even Bosch the supplier of the computer was tagged with paying $1500 to each owner part of the settlement because their computer permitted the cheating. (although I'm not positive the computer is actually covered, I think it is)

They do have 4 of the 2010s that were the older style with low range (none with diff locks or the air suspension). That is what I thought I wanted too until I drove the newer version. Dropping that low range dropped 400 pounds off the car and the old transmission and trasfer case were a couple of the problem areas. I think the new 8 speed is a heavy duty Aisin. From a transmission supply shop, "It is the most powerful of modern RWD Aisin transmission capable of transmitting the torque up to 800 Nm (590 ft-lbs)" although I know they also have a massive Aisin optional on the latest Cummins Rams that must be better as those things put out 1000 ft-lbs stock.
According to the EPA the 2011 gets 2mpg (almost 10%) combined better than the 2010. It just feels tighter as well, and both I tested had the same 94,000 miles on them.

I should hopefully have a normal 8 hour day tomorrow and go actually make a deal. I've been working past when the dealership is open all week! Good for paying for a car, bad for actually having time to get in.

Last edited by Hersbird; 09-18-2019 at 10:54 PM..
Old 09-20-2019, 01:47 AM   #33 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
EDIT: I noticed you are looking at the 3.0L TDI

So nevermind but I will leave the rest in cause someone else it looking for a Golf, Jetta, Beetle, or Passat

VW didn't add DEF to the 2.0L TDI until the 2015 model year. The 2015 has a different fix and a longer warranty than the 2009-2014s

From VW:

The Approved Emissions Modification Extended Warranty period for 2009-2014 model year vehicles will be the greater of:

(a) 4 years or 48,000 miles, whichever comes first, from date and mileage of implementing the Emissions Modification, except for vehicles offered for resale, in which case from the date and mileage of the first resale transaction after the modification to the first person who in good faith purchases the vehicle for purposes other than resale, or

(b) 10 years or 120,000 actual miles from the initial date of purchase (whichever comes first).

For 2015 model year vehicles, the warranty period will be the greater of:

(a) 11 years or 162,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s original in-service date; OR

(b) 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of Phase 1 of the emissions modification. At the time of the subsequent Phase 2 modification, the extended warranty will be honored for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of the completion of Phase 2.

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/2-0-models/
Old 09-20-2019, 03:28 AM   #34 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
the oil being picky is a result of the dpf and the 10,000 mile change intervals. a couple of people on the TDI forum use Rotella but change at 3,000 miles. there is another oil that is claiming 30,000 between changes with excellent analysis returns.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:30 AM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I did get a 2012 Touareg Sport with Nav with 74,000 miles. It has the 4 year 48,000 warranty from today and also includes free DEF fills during that period as well. They also gave me a lifetime powertrain warranty assuming I do the 1 yrs 10,000 mile oil changes with an ASE mechanic and whatever other prescribed preventative maintenance VW calls for in the manual. I'll probably just let them, the VW dealer do the changes as they are only a little over $100 once a year and the special oil and filter cost $90/change alone anyway. It was $18,190 after everything. It is pretty much flawless with brand new Pirelli tires so I'm happy.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:39 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Well I made it 26 hours and 25 miles and got a CEL! Honestly I was kind of expecting this as some of these have been sitting in those massive parking lots not run for 2+ years. But my car was only bought back in June of this year and fixed in late August. Anyway the code is an injector contribution imbalance on #5. They will probably just try and clean it, light came on after leaving a restaurant this evening but I thought it had a bit of surging going on with the cold start this morning.

Good news is it was getting 25mpg average pure city according to the factory lie o meter for that 25 miles, that's better than my Forester ever did, or any other car I have ever had.

I will start a garage on ecomodder for this car, it's the first car I've had that seemed worthy. Plus with the EPA down-rating (19 city, 22 comb, 26 highway) I can probably beat that pretty easily.

Last edited by Hersbird; 09-22-2019 at 12:11 AM..
Old 09-22-2019, 12:25 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote: "...Plus with the EPA down-rating (19 city, 22 comb, 26 highway) I can probably beat that pretty easily."

Wow. Is that what the EPA-happy-diesel VW's are now rated at?
Old 09-22-2019, 03:18 PM   #38 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorGray View Post
Quote: "...Plus with the EPA down-rating (19 city, 22 comb, 26 highway) I can probably beat that pretty easily."

Wow. Is that what the EPA-happy-diesel VW's are now rated at?
The 2012 Touareg TDI was originally rated at 19 city / 28 highway

Not bad for a 5,000 lb CUV that runs 0-60 in 6.9 seconds.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:48 AM   #39 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
IMHO you need to call Malone and load a custom tune.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:46 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
IMHO you need to call Malone and load a custom tune.
I'd love to, but with free adblue and everything covered warranty for at least 4 years, I'm just keeping it the way VW and the US Government made it. At least for that 4 years...

Reply  Post New Thread