View Single Post
Old 09-23-2019, 11:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
buschman
EcoModding Lurker

2018 Subaru WRX - '18 Subaru WRX Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
You've got a Subaru. In Maryland. Do you really have summer tires on it or the OE all seasons that came on it? Just as you are the only thing that can get good (or bad) mileage out of something, you are what makes it safe or unsafe in the snow. We all got where we were going back when everything was overweight rear drives with 3 speed automatics, you should be fine in an AWD with a manual no matter what rubber you've got on it.
The OEs that came with the car are Summer only tires(Dunlop Sport Maxx). Trust me, I would have opted for all season when I bought the car if it were an option.

I used to think the same as you. My driving skill combined with Subaru's legendary AWD is more than enough as long as I drive cautiously. Wrong! Granted I do live on the side of a fairly steep hill. However, I lost control of the car doing <5mph and that was braking, not accelerating. It wasn't me, it wasn't the AWD. It was summer tires are not designed for snow and they absolutely suck in any kind of snow.

I've learned there are huge differences in tires since buying this Subaru. I have an all new respect for how important they are to the vehicle. Once I put the studless winter tires, holy cow was it a night and day difference. They function like no all season tire I've ever driven.