Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2019, 03:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

z - '03 nissan 350z touring
90 day: 36.21 mpg (US)

Diniro - '18 Kia Niro Ex
90 day: 47.99 mpg (US)
winter calls for narrow tires and wheels. In world rally racing they use like 195mm width|||

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-23-2019, 09:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
What's so odd about not wanting to burn unnecessary gas when it's not giving you any fun? Performance driving is performance driving, whether you want gees in the turns or high mpg during a depressing commute (if you can't pass them, at least get stellar mileage while you're stuck in that line of cars).

I came here when I was in my 05 Legacy GT. I wrenched that thing from 22ish into the 30s, never quite getting a 35 mpg tank. And I had a blast doing it. Man, I loved that car:

I'd say don't buy different wheels and tires yet, buy a ScanGauge or UltraGauge instead. The only thing that's going to get good mileage out of that car is you. If you want to buy a thing that will simply hand you good mileage, get a Prius. But you're a driver, so you've got to do the performance driving yourself. And you can't do that without seeing real numbers and understanding how your driving affects them.

Learn to P&G well, you'd be amazed at how much of your commute can be done in neutral. Get good at bump starting- you'll be even more amazed at the parts of your commute that you don't even need the engine running for.

Once you learn the car, and you can't do that without one of those gauges, then you can try modding the hardware. And you won't have to ask advice, because the real question will be "with my driving style on this commute in this car, what will help my numbers?" and only you will be able to answer that. But don't worry, you will be able to answer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 09-23-2019, 10:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

2018 Subaru WRX - '18 Subaru WRX Limited
Wow, amazingly detailed responses. I want to thank you all for these great posts. I came to an eco site to learn about potentially inefficiency and I learned about performance tire width, go figure. But I back checked some of what was written here and it does seem to be true. Just widen the tires does not give you better grip. It does dissipate heat better. Which could allow for a softer compound, which then in turn could allow for better grip.

Frankly I don't track the car and while I may a time or two, this is a daily driver so I plan to keep it's road manors in tact.

Ultimately what I'm learning from this site and others is the subtle differences between the 245 and 265 if tire pressure and rubber compound are the same are not big. If I didn't notice a drop in MPGs(beside the expected cold air of winter hit to MPGs) because of switching to a studies snow tire, then I'm not likely to notice a difference between a 20mm wider tire.

I am going to purchase rims here once the weather starts to get cold. What I have learned is sumer tires are completely unsafe driving in even a dusting of snow. So my bi-annual tire swap is 100% necessary unless I switch to all season. However, having now driving in summer only and winter only tires, I like them. They act so differently from all season tires from a performance and confidence standpoint. Really boosting the dynamics of the car. The issue with two sets of tires is swapping them on the single rim set I currently have. I'm finding it hard to find a trust worthy tire guy. Damage to the tire and rim can all occur when swiping the tires so frequently. So I need to have a dedicated rim for my summer tires and another set for my winter tires.

That said I'm still a bit on the fence. But the posters here have given me a lot of information and different things to consider than I was originally concerned/inquiring about.

Also glad to see there are a few other performance car enthusiasts that also appreciate good gas mileage. I was jacked today when I was able to pull 38.8mpg on the WRX on the way into work. Its gauge numbers which are ~2mpg higher than calculator numbers. But still even at ~37mpg, still pretty darn good for a 270hp car with 245mm tires.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buschman View Post
I am going to purchase rims here once the weather starts to get cold. What I have learned is sumer tires are completely unsafe driving in even a dusting of snow.
You've got a Subaru. In Maryland. Do you really have summer tires on it or the OE all seasons that came on it? Just as you are the only thing that can get good (or bad) mileage out of something, you are what makes it safe or unsafe in the snow. We all got where we were going back when everything was overweight rear drives with 3 speed automatics, you should be fine in an AWD with a manual no matter what rubber you've got on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 09-23-2019, 11:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

2018 Subaru WRX - '18 Subaru WRX Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
You've got a Subaru. In Maryland. Do you really have summer tires on it or the OE all seasons that came on it? Just as you are the only thing that can get good (or bad) mileage out of something, you are what makes it safe or unsafe in the snow. We all got where we were going back when everything was overweight rear drives with 3 speed automatics, you should be fine in an AWD with a manual no matter what rubber you've got on it.
The OEs that came with the car are Summer only tires(Dunlop Sport Maxx). Trust me, I would have opted for all season when I bought the car if it were an option.

I used to think the same as you. My driving skill combined with Subaru's legendary AWD is more than enough as long as I drive cautiously. Wrong! Granted I do live on the side of a fairly steep hill. However, I lost control of the car doing <5mph and that was braking, not accelerating. It wasn't me, it wasn't the AWD. It was summer tires are not designed for snow and they absolutely suck in any kind of snow.

I've learned there are huge differences in tires since buying this Subaru. I have an all new respect for how important they are to the vehicle. Once I put the studless winter tires, holy cow was it a night and day difference. They function like no all season tire I've ever driven.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,511 Times in 1,551 Posts
38.8mpg is absolutely stellar for what you drive, and pretty darn good even by most standards. Nice job!

I personally have a Honda K24A engine from a Japanese TSX in my Insight, so I walk both lines. It'll do low 12's in a quarter mile and then deliver (peak cruising) 65mpg on my way home if I can keep my foot out of it.

Many of us here are car enthusiasts in most senses of the phrase.

Last edited by Ecky; 09-24-2019 at 07:31 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
buschman (09-24-2019)
Reply  Post New Thread