View Single Post
Old 10-01-2019, 05:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Daschicken
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Some people are unteachable, but that's the exception. Taught my wife (gf at the time) to drive stick in just one 30 minute session. She was struggling with letting the clutch out too quickly and killing the engine until I instructed her to take an eternity to let the clutch out as slowly as possible. She got it from then on out and after that it's just refining things.
Teaching so many people has shown me what works and what doesn't. What works is demonstrating the engagement point, telling them to HOLD THE CLUTCH THERE and build up speed, then release. What doesn't work is telling them to release it over a specified time period, i've tried. They just don't get it. I think its them thinking the work is done when it starts engaging, so they just dump the clutch. In just an hour long session the usual recruit goes from clueless to being able to pull away with revs, able to upshift and rev match downshift, reverse, park, etc. Some people are harder to teach than others while few will instantly have a grasp on things. I have never given up on someone or cancelled a session because I think they are killing my car.

For my slightly on topic contribution, I do also love the sound of a 2JZ. There was a straight piped SC300 around my school campus, holy god was that thing eargasmic. Still has exhaust resonator apparently.

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...

Last edited by Daschicken; 10-01-2019 at 08:25 PM..