View Single Post
Old 10-05-2019, 03:31 PM   #299 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Got the dent slightly less dented the other day, but I likely won't be able to do much with it until Thanksgiving break when I return home.

On the other hand, had my first "run in with the law" from my car modifications. Over this past week one of the university officers put a note of "warning" on my car for having "illegal mirrors", or specifically "Missing passenger side mirror, and non-Virginia DOT approved driver's side mirror."

According to the law, this is complete BS:

Emphasis mine. My Insight has a deleted passenger mirror and a smaller, custom driver's side mirror that easily allows visibility for more than 200 ft.

So I went over to the police department on campus to get this resolved, but they are closed on the weekend. However, I was able to talk with a sheriff who happened to be passing by. After respectfully explaining the situation I was in, his statement was that all cars "have to be equipped with the original equipment that came with the car". Which really is more BS; if that were the case, then in all technicality replacing your tires with a non-OEM tire is illegal, or repainting your car in a non-OEM color is illegal! But I didn't go into that. After showing him the above statute, he agreed with me that I was in the right. He promised to call the officer who wrote me the warning and inform him of his mistake, and instructed me to return on Monday when they were open with the warning to get it erased from the record.
How did this work out in the end?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.