View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 08:19 AM   #22 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by #SaveTheManuals View Post
I was wondering how other hypermilers deal with what must be a pretty common situation: obsessively hypermiling only to have all your hard-earned tank/lifetime MPG average diminished by a non-hypermiling spouse or other driver in the household.

Now that we bought our first new car in 15 years, I'm having fun trying to keep the lifetime MPG (e.g., as recorded in the car's computer and also the Garage section here) as high as possible. That's hard to do when my wife isn't nearly as invested in hypermiling as I am. She does OK when she's concentrating on it, but it's not a big priority for her. The MPG predictably dips when she's focused on other things while driving.

Since she'll probably be putting about half the miles on the car, I know that the lifetime MPG is going to end up roughly halfway between "my" MPG of maybe 41, and whatever my wife gets (probably mid-30s). Similarly, every tank is going to be an exercise of me trying to slowly raise the average from wherever my wife left it during her last trip, up toward (but never reaching) 41 MPG.

I think the only way to be at peace with the situation -- short of my wife unexpectedly deciding she wants to be a hypermiler -- is trying to ignore the tank/lifetime average and just focus on my own per-trip MPG. Luckily the car's computer seems pretty accurate so far, maybe 1-2% optimistic, so it should be easy enough to do. Unfortunately the only way to maintain a history of my trip-MPGs is to write it down after each trip. :/

Anyone (everyone?) else in the same boat? I'm really just looking for commiseration, though any mental or practical hacks to deal with it are welcome as well.

It’s the wrong question.

Back off and look at the lifetime expense of the vehicle. Fuel isn’t major. “”Major” is in keeping it the longest period of time. The only real variable is the annual miles.

Cutting the annual miles total by reducing number of cold starts and combining trips is fuel economy. The cake. Achieving the same ends. Lower fuel cost per mile is only the frosting.

It’s a foolish tail-chase that ignores total miles per annum.

90% of Americans go to 90% of the same places 90% of the time per the DHS. That’s the focus. Combined trips to avoid cold starts.

As the vehicle simply sits the majority of its life (22 of 24 hours) having it stored in an insulated garage is the necessary addition, past scheduled washes, and maintenance (accelerated 10%).

List those places. Draw up a route per Mapquest FE routing that takes one by highway and works back to the house. No left turns. Parking that involves fewest turns of the wheel (easiest egress). Etc.

Be a husband and HUSBAND the resources. Discipline. The lifetime total of cars owned can be reduced.

Make the CATEGORY of family transportation the focus.

Make the sweetener worthwhile. I did this some years back and, the lowered fuel use on an annual basis COMPLETELY subsidized 5,000-miles of vacation miles towing the travel trailer.

Break out the gallons of fuel consumed annually. That’s the start. And the target. The difference between the mpg you gets or she does is vanishingly small over the vehicle lifetime.

What’s the fuel cost PER MILE difference between you two?

Insanity is sticking one’s nose harder against the grindstone (the premise you’re currently stuck with). Until USE is addressed, you won’t be the husband you promised you’d be. The rest ISN’T to the point.

“Concentrating on other things while driving” should be a greater concern. Given how bad Americans are behind the wheel. The fundamental is space from others. All sides, not just ahead. An example is coming to a stop behind another such that pavement is easily visible AS IT PROVIDES CUSHION AGAINST A REAR COLLISION plus enables getting around a stalled vehicle OR escape against a robber AND enables one to start rolling earlier.

At a stop sign or light, one stops WELL BACK from the intersection line. Wheels straight if a turn is the next maneuver.

Entering a highway on a ramp? No one out ahead for MORE THAN 300’ even if that means braking & waiting for them to get out ahead. And hitting the road ABOVE the upper posted limit so as to merge safely & legally; brakes change a vehicles speed far faster than the throttle. 500’ ahead of a big truck is a MINMUM. Etc.

On the highway in rural areas one shouldn’t have ANY other vehicles near one. Ahead, behind or adjacent. Ever. Do the necessary to get them gone.

Accident avoidance, thus risk reduction, is the real focus of driving. FE takes a back seat. It’s integrated AFTER proper practice is established. It’s a decision tree and RISK is always first.

Given what you’ve written, FE isn’t a genuine concern about your wife’s driving. Given what I see 100k miles per annum on the roads, I’d start with what you yourself do. Avoid risk first, emphasize steady state second. Your humility at starting over at driving is what will sell the deal.

Be a man.

Last edited by slowmover; 10-09-2019 at 09:01 AM..