View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 10:53 AM   #61 (permalink)
Kingofwylietx
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneajanderson View Post
That would be an interesting comparison. Why would you expect the cooling system to be heavier? Do new engines generate more heat, or do they just overdo it? I would also expect electric fans to be much lighter than the old belt-driven clutch fan that I have.
I have no evidence, but if the cooling systems are in fact heavier, I think it would be due to the higher power output of the engines.

The 1994 F150 5.0 had a factory output of 195 HP. The 5.0 of a 2019 F150 is 395 HP. If the engine is 40% efficient, then would you have 60% of the energy escaping as wasted heat? If so, the cooling system would need to sized appropriately to dissipate that heat.

Another thing to look at is the capability of today's truck vs the capability of a truck from 1994. The truck made today can haul and tow a significantly higher amount of weight. Google says the F150 of today can tow more than the F250 Super Duty from 1994.

For that, they probably need to beef up a lot of other components. Some of the weight is obviously offset by the use of higher strength steel and other lighter weight materials.

Shaneajanderson, I also think a lot of the added weight is from government regulations (environmental and safety).

I do know that the options on todays trucks can add over 1000 lbs to the weight of the truck when comparing a base truck to a fully loaded truck. The panoramic sun roof adds close to 200 lbs on the F150, and so do the automatically deploying running boards. You can get massaging seats, power inverters, 22" wheels, etc. It all adds up.

A standard GVWR of 7050# on a modern F150 may have a payload capacity of 1300# or 2500#....depending on the creature comforts and configuration selected (base model vs Platinum model).