View Single Post
Old 10-11-2019, 01:51 PM   #53 (permalink)
darcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I specifically avoided WOW knowing I wouldn't have the willpower to set proper boundaries. For years that was half the conversation in the office. One coworker told me how much he played (WOW keeps track of it for you), and it worked out to 8hrs per day, every day. That means on days he didn't play at all, he made up for by playing more than 8hrs on other days. He also worked 40hrs, and presumably slept somewhere around 56hrs... that leaves 16hrs to do everything else. He shared this with me after I was skeptical that his character had a street value of $500. Most I'd had ever paid for a video game up until then was probably $40. The concept of a subscription to play was newish then.

I've spent thousands of hours playing games though. Too soon to tell if I regret it; many of my memories playing are quite fond still.

You'll notice I said nothing about reducing WOW spending. It goes along with my principle of spending money where you enjoy it most (as long as other financial responsibilities are met).
I played Asheron's Call for about a year. That was enough for me to figure out that MMORPGs are too much of a time sink for me, and I refused to play any after that. I ended up selling my account for about $120, which was about what I had in subscription fees.

I still play video games, but only casually. It's a fun way to connect with my 10 year old son who loves vintage gaming systems. And it's relatively cheap entertainment. His Halloween costume this year: Shy Guy!

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods