View Single Post
Old 10-15-2019, 11:01 AM   #31 (permalink)
Daschicken
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daschicken View Post
I changed the oil and found the same filter situation as I had with my VFR 400, not compatible with a sandwich oil cooler/heater unless you get a special nut that likely no one makes. Threads are part of the block, so I would need a block from a model that came with the cooler/heater to install one.

I did actually find adapters which may work for my application!

Site offering these adapters alone: https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s...xtension-bolts

They come with these oil filter adapter plates which are designed for tapping into oil flow for turbo use, pressure gauges, oil coolers, etc. I wouldn't need the plate in this case unless I want to rig up a pre lube pump(i do eventually), just the little screw thing for now. Now the problem is finding one that will fit the thread pitch of the SV: M20x1.0.

Most seem to be M20x1.5 or an imperial size. Either way, at least one of my vehicles in the stable is getting a sandwich oil filter cooler/heater.

My accord uses M20x1.5
The CBR 250R has an internal canister oil filter, so no luck there

Currently trying to figure out the VFR 400, it sounds like the oil filter thread can SCREW OUT by grabbing with vicegrips, I thought it was cast/machined into mine though. I could easily check by holding a magnet up to the threads, if it is steel while the rest is aluminum, that would pretty much confirm that it is threaded in. That being said, this is a rare vintage bike, so I want to play it safe. The CB/CBR 900 oil cooler that I got did come with its own screw, so we will see... IF I do go through with this, i'll probably try to find some nuts that are the same pitch so I can double nut the threaded rod out without damage.

Next time i'm at the junkyard I will see if I can get one out.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil filter adapter.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	26995  

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...

Last edited by Daschicken; 10-15-2019 at 11:53 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Daschicken For This Useful Post:
Daox (10-15-2019)