View Single Post
Old 10-16-2019, 09:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Excellent replies guys! Thanks for jumping in.

As it is, I do have a bunch of warm up mods done to the Mirage. I am currently running:
- 1000W block heater
- Coroplast lower grill block
- 3d printed upper grill block
- Sealed hood gap with weather stripping
- I'll soon be reinstalling my warm air intake for the winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iikhod View Post
Hate to be that guy, but: How much is the fuel savings difference between engine off coasting and engine on coasting(maybe dfco)?
Interesting idea, still.
In my experience there is a very large gain from going from DWL to P&G with the engine on. There is another fairly sizable gain from going to P&G with the engine off. If I had to guess, its around 5 mpg on the Mirage which is getting around 55-60 mpg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
My first steps would be engine coolant heater so I start off in the morning with reasonably warm fluid, and a grill block. I tend to run the fan on the lowest setting unless I'm trying to defrost/clear a window because I don't like the extra noise, and it's just about as effective at warming the cabin (hotter air rather than more warm air). Then I have seat heaters which are quite effective and very economical to run.
I do have a block heater installed. Its a 1000W Kats type circulating tank heater. This definitely helps things out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iikhod View Post
As for the circulation pump itself, you could buy it second hand even cheaper from a junk yard. Some cars have a pump like that, for circulating coolant after shutdown, if necessary for cooling. Fans also run during this time. I believe vw t4 vans have this feature? Correct me if i'm wrong.
Ironically, I checked ebay for used pumps and found them to be the same price or higher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck View Post
Easy peasy...

Wire the coolant pump via a relay into the oil pressure idiot light circuit. Idiot light on - coolant pump on - idiot light off - coolant pump off.

Should work perfectly with the EOC (engine off coasting) technique.
That is perfect! I wanted to stay away from complicated controls and that does it.

I also have a 110V cabin heater. But haven't installed yet. I think that will definitely help with wanting to get heat asap. I'm hoping it also will help with defrosting.
iikhod (10-16-2019), MetroMPG (10-17-2019)