View Single Post
Old 10-25-2019, 06:41 PM   #7669 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
So who's the climatologist?
Quote:
I love that photo of Greta (& she must like it, too).
Quote:
I don't like when people take the worst photos they can find.
I don't know where you people get your news. ??

r/TheDonald* is in quarantine, so things scroll into oblivion in about four hours, so I can't attribute this correctly, but I found the same picture via DDG Images

https://www.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1...300/image.jpeg

Very Pacific. Vancouver agrees with her?

While we bicker about IPCC bureaucrats, science keeps happening.

https://dornsife.usc.edu/news/storie...-from-climate/
Quote:
Catastrophic events carry forests of trees thousands of miles to a burial at sea
Once at the target point at sea, the U.S.-operated research ship R/V Joides Resolution, which is part of the International Ocean Discovery Program, extended a drill mechanism more than two miles down from the ocean’s surface to its floor and drilled more than a half a mile down into the sediments. They then carried the samples back to the lab, where the research team combed through the resulting core samples. They discovered wood chips in the sandy layers dating back as far as 19 million years.

Their analysis showed that wood in most layers came from lowland sources, but one layer contained wood from trees high in the mountains.

“We found pristine pieces of conifers,” Feakins said. “These trees grow two miles above sea level, up in the Himalayas.”
The trees likely were uprooted during the last ice age by a massive release of water from the breach of a natural dam created by a glacier, landslide or similar land feature. In what must have been a surge of water, the trees rode rivers thousands of miles from Nepal through Bangladesh and into the Bengal Fan, the largest underwater sediment accumulation in the world.

The scientists, searching through other layers in the core sample, found wood from the lowlands, as well. These wood chips likely were carried to the sea by torrential rains and flooding during monsoons or cyclones that occurred many time across the 19-million-year time span.

Rivers export trees
Aside from revealing the astounding distance trees may be carried by rivers to the sea due to natural events, the study finds this tree wood is an important part of the carbon cycle.

Most of the planet’s carbon resides in rock, but the remainder flows in various forms between land, air and ocean, making its way through plants, animals and microbes as it does so.
*litesong, don't go there your head will asplode.

edit:
I had to enter this four times because of an expired token. And tht was before the edits. I hope someone appreciates it.

Quote:
redneck knows "sigh-ants", the propaganda of AGW deniers.
This translates out of litesong-speak as something of a compliment. "redneck knows science as truth." Good on you.

Last edited by freebeard; 10-25-2019 at 06:59 PM..