View Single Post
Old 10-26-2019, 04:56 PM   #57 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,177 Times in 807 Posts
Well I got my first tank. Not bad but still want better. This tank was a mix of city and highway, 32 mph average. 549 miles with 1/4 tank still remaining. 21.27 gallons, so 25.8 mpg. The lie-o-meter was showing 26.8 mpg since last refill so it is close but a bit optimistic. I was trying, but not always, there were a few 75 mph runs, and full throttle acceleration in there, also my daily commute doesn't even get the coolant up to 160 some mornings although I feel heat from the heater after the first mile.

There was some off roading on this tank as well which was impressive on all season Pirellis. There is this one hill to a nice camping spot by the river. It is really steep, loose dirt, with big holes and tree roots. My buddies 1999 Silverado Z71 with all terrain tires took 3 tries and a bunch of momentum to get up. The Touareg just crawled up, you could feel tires lose traction and then the power shift to where it needed to be. occasionally it would lift a whole tire off the ground but still keep clawing. It also just does automatic hill descent on the way down which was new for me. I've never had anything with hill descent, but this you just put it in off road, and point down the hill and steer, it automatically controls the speed almost going to a full stop on the worst spots before allowing it to start crawling again.

My 2500 Yukon XL with a rear locker and newer all terrains will go right up that hill as well, but that was my standard for the Touareg. If it goes up that, it will go most anywhere I want to go. I am a bit worried about when it's not nice and dry so am still thinking about getting a set of all terrain tires on 17" wheels for winter, but for now the new all seasons will have to do. 3" of fresh snow this morning, but the roads were just a bit slushy.