Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2019, 11:18 AM   #51 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Well for starters, I don't have a DSG, I have a 6 speed manual, so I hold it in gear until about 3k rpm. It lost power, particularly in the above 2k rpm. On one on ramp, the procedure was: floor it in 2nd, flip on left signal, move left, shift to 3. It's now floor it, signal, shift, move left if I'm going fast enough. Couple of hp or lbft wouldn't make that much difference.

Regen light: the commute seems to be a mile short of what it wants to complete. So every so often, it now goes into constant regen every trip until I do the round trip to Carson and burn it out. Regen sucks and you know it's happening. If the light was on, I could run another couple miles on the freeway and avoid the DPF failure.

Imho, it wasn't voluntary, there was a binary choice, live with the fix, sell the car back. Since the DMV requires smog compliance, not fixing was not an option. I bought it because it solved a lot of my issues, I'll be darned if I need to part with it before it's worn out. I tend to hold cars 15+years, look at my signature.

Last edited by Piotrsko; 10-04-2019 at 11:27 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-04-2019, 01:46 PM   #52 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
I only have 120 miles on my car. Last night we went on a bit longer drive with some highway and low and behold when I shut it off the fans continued to run and you could smell it so I just interrupted my first regen. Now I have nothing but to and from work scheduled which is only 10 mins and the car barely reaches normal operating temps. So I have to take a trip just to hopefully get a regen? It would have been no problem last night to let it run and finish it's regen had I known it was happening. Good news is it was getting 30 mpg at 70 mph and more like 40 mpg at 55 mph.

I also dont know what DSG stands for. I assume you are just talking automatic transmission which I have but was told it is not a DSG. It's a Aisin 8 speed auto.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #53 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

To regen it needs a certain soot level and a warm engine, warm underhood, or about 35 miles. A Vagcom obd/cpu analyzer can give you the soot load. If the fans run on shutdown, you may or may not have completed the regen. The fans indicate it is over 160 degrees under the hood and you are cooking rubber components hence the burning rubber smell.

If you are running on cruise control, on the highway, you'll might not know you are cycling. Otherwise, Throttle gets boggy, there is hesitation, engine feels rough and noisy, and eventually you lose mileage from the fuel dump.

Regen pre-fix was about once every 100miles. It now occurs every 50, or for me, every other day. If it doesn't make you crazy, be thankful.
Hersbird (10-05-2019), skyking (10-05-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 03:40 PM   #54 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Woody - '96 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 23.82 mpg (US)

Avion and Woody - '96 Dodge/Avion Ram 2500/5th wheel combo
90 day: 15.1 mpg (US)

TD eye eye eye - '03 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)

Mule - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 ST
Thank you!!
My wife has a 13 beetle DSG, and she came in the house saying she broke her car, LOL.
It was the fans running after regen. I had no idea. I cycled the start button and it stopped. Now we know.

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with 6MT
2003 TDI Beetle
2002 TDI Beetle

currently parked - 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbodiesel
Custom cab, auto, 3.55 gears
Old 10-05-2019, 07:10 PM   #55 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I have Torque pro app but have only used it in the VW to read that CEL I got. Are all the readings like EGT and boost pressure available on there? Are there any "hidden" ones that require the PID settings. Can the Torque read the soot level? How accurate is the MPG reading on Torque on a TDI? It was way, way off on my Cummins but it may have had either aftermarket injectors or worn injectors that were overfueling compared to what the computer thought it was getting.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:02 PM   #56 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Well the Cummins didn't get an egr until around 2006 and if they didnt go 400,000 miles the owners would think they got a lemon as over a million miles on the block, bearings, heads, rings, valves, was the norm not the exception.
The engine may go 1 million miles in your VW but the rest of the car will bankrupt you long before then. My old Jetta started falling about about 200K miles. The new ones don't appear to be much better. 3 people at my wife's work bought dieselgate Jettas after we got ours and all of them have had problems. Ours got a new sunroof seal under warranty this past summer. Took the dealer 3 days to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I only have 120 miles on my car. Last night we went on a bit longer drive with some highway and low and behold when I shut it off the fans continued to run and you could smell it so I just interrupted my first regen. Now I have nothing but to and from work scheduled which is only 10 mins and the car barely reaches normal operating temps. So I have to take a trip just to hopefully get a regen? It would have been no problem last night to let it run and finish it's regen had I known it was happening. Good news is it was getting 30 mpg at 70 mph and more like 40 mpg at 55 mph.

I also dont know what DSG stands for. I assume you are just talking automatic transmission which I have but was told it is not a DSG. It's a Aisin 8 speed auto.
No, you don't have to take a highway drive to regen unless you get the DPF (diesel particulate filter) warning light. Just drive it and relax, the car will do what it needs to do.

Just a warning, lots of short trips where the car barely warms up will shorten the life of your DPF. Idling is even worse and was most of the problem when DPFs first were introduced into the heavy duty market.

DSG stands for Direct Shift Gearbox, and is VW's name for their automated manual transmission. It is the "automatic" used in VW 2.0L TDIs. It is also the transmission you see in all the before / after dieselgate articles because they make up more than 90% of sales. When we bought our TDI last year I looked for a manual but couldn't find one within a reasonable driving distance. The dealer we purchase from had 1 manual out of 65 TDI Sportwagens.

Last edited by JSH; 10-06-2019 at 12:09 PM..
Old 10-26-2019, 04:56 PM   #57 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Well I got my first tank. Not bad but still want better. This tank was a mix of city and highway, 32 mph average. 549 miles with 1/4 tank still remaining. 21.27 gallons, so 25.8 mpg. The lie-o-meter was showing 26.8 mpg since last refill so it is close but a bit optimistic. I was trying, but not always, there were a few 75 mph runs, and full throttle acceleration in there, also my daily commute doesn't even get the coolant up to 160 some mornings although I feel heat from the heater after the first mile.

There was some off roading on this tank as well which was impressive on all season Pirellis. There is this one hill to a nice camping spot by the river. It is really steep, loose dirt, with big holes and tree roots. My buddies 1999 Silverado Z71 with all terrain tires took 3 tries and a bunch of momentum to get up. The Touareg just crawled up, you could feel tires lose traction and then the power shift to where it needed to be. occasionally it would lift a whole tire off the ground but still keep clawing. It also just does automatic hill descent on the way down which was new for me. I've never had anything with hill descent, but this you just put it in off road, and point down the hill and steer, it automatically controls the speed almost going to a full stop on the worst spots before allowing it to start crawling again.

My 2500 Yukon XL with a rear locker and newer all terrains will go right up that hill as well, but that was my standard for the Touareg. If it goes up that, it will go most anywhere I want to go. I am a bit worried about when it's not nice and dry so am still thinking about getting a set of all terrain tires on 17" wheels for winter, but for now the new all seasons will have to do. 3" of fresh snow this morning, but the roads were just a bit slushy.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:04 AM   #58 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

32 for a toerag is pretty decent.

Which Pirelli's? The all seasons cintaurados we had on the Golf were pretty incredible and about 40k wear before I got a tread bar. Of course I have only enough ground clearance to get the jack under mine so we didn't off road much.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:13 PM   #59 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
32 for a toerag is pretty decent.

Which Pirelli's? The all seasons cintaurados we had on the Golf were pretty incredible and about 40k wear before I got a tread bar. Of course I have only enough ground clearance to get the jack under mine so we didn't off road much.
no only 25.8 mpg it was at an average speed of 32 mph. Basically some stop and go city with 35 mph tops and some 65-70 mph highway runs about 50/50 city highway.

They are Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 255/55/18 look like about $195 each on Tire Rack. I pumped them up to 50 psi as they had them at 32 and 38 psi. If I had bought Pirelli I would have bought the LRR Verde line which are about the same price and have higher treadwear rating as well.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:31 PM   #60 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Well for starters, I don't have a DSG, I have a 6 speed manual, so I hold it in gear until about 3k rpm. It lost power, particularly in the above 2k rpm. On one on ramp, the procedure was: floor it in 2nd, flip on left signal, move left, shift to 3. It's now floor it, signal, shift, move left if I'm going fast enough. Couple of hp or lbft wouldn't make that much difference.
I’ve had a couple of odd reactions from my TDI over the past month under heavy throttle. The car bogs almost like it is going into limp mode with a huge drop off in power. This lasts for a couple of seconds and then power comes back.

I found a procedure online to reset the drive by wire. Since the reset I haven’t had any weird power loss AND the throttle is linear. No more turbo lag off idle followed by a torque spike at 2,000 RPM. You might want to try it

To reset drive by wire
  1. Push the throttle all the way down and hold
  2. Turn on ignition but don’t crank the engine
  3. Continue holding down the throttle for 15 seconds
  4. Turn off ignition.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
slowmover (11-19-2019), Xist (11-20-2019)
Reply  Post New Thread