View Single Post
Old 11-03-2019, 03:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoCivic
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby79 View Post
I had 2 options with my Allison 6sp install.
1 GM style, soft and squishy 1-5(1stOD) 5-6 locked shift
2 Allison style, 1-2,lock 3-6 locked shifts
GM went this way for a soft fill not longevity or controlling excessive heat.
Allison, went for longevity @ up to 26k lbs.
Ether way the TCM adjusts the apply and release solenoids timing(when) and rate (how much time it takes each) to make smooth shifts independent of controlling line pressure. Uncontrollable line pressure WILL destroy the trans with extremely violent shifts as timing and rate alone are inadequate.

Read up on how your particular trans controlls shift firmness. A shift kit may be the better option.
Thank you for all the great info, I really appreciate it! How exactly will my pressure control solenoid modifications destroy the transmission though? It now shifts noticeably firmer than stock, but I wouldn’t say that it is shifting violently at all. And I have stiff polyurethane engine and trans mounts, so if it was shifting hard enough to break thinks I would think I would feel it.

Also, how quickly would you expect these modifications to destroy the trans? I have been driving it about 6K miles this way and everything still seems fine as far as I can tell. If something was going to break from the hard shifts I would think it would have by now, but please correct me if I am wrong.